Chapter 81.

It was four more days until our... invasion? infiltration?–whatever you wanted to call it–of Zavlon Academia.

   The effects of the preceding days of consistent training– with the weapons and suits this time, going over and over the plan was becoming more and more evident in my aching muscles, the dark circles developing around my eyes, exhaustion, the anxiety that came with the anxiety felt from the anxiety over the thought of entering Zavlon once again, overthinking (you had to have seen that coming) and with regard to the situation i was currently in, pretending to listen to Landon as i waited outside the motel with him for his Ride go on about... about...

"Beth? Did you hear me?" The snapping of Landon's fingers over my face as he asked brought me back to earth.

"Sorry, sorry." I sighed into my palms, rubbing them over my face before looking up once more. "I'm all ears now, promise."

"I just..." As he trailed off was when I then noticed the seriousness that his features assumed. "I just wanted to say thanks for our walks."

   Landon's presence while I was working on my creations in the motel's basement was company I didn't know I needed. Once we got past his flirting (well, more like i got used to it), I found myself looking forward to working in the basement with him around to talk to, have his honest opinion and help when I was having trouble with my designs and the actual creations. And how could I forget that it was his connections that helped me get access to the materials and equipment I couldn't get on my own? That was why I made it a point to walk him to his ride everyday. But even with that, he had never acted in a way which made me feel like I was obligated to do so. To be honest, it felt like no obligation whatsoever. Especially since I was never bored with our conversations.

   Unless you count today. But wait, I was not bored, just tired.

"Oh, you're welcome?" My reply ended up sounding like a question since his straight face still hadn't wavered. I wasn't sure of the tone I should've used to respond.

"And thanks for trusting me when I came around when no one else will. That couldn't have been easy for you."

"You're right," I admitted. "But I'm glad I did."

"Thanks."

"I want to thank you too," I said, after we stood in silence for a while, proceeding to acknowledge our time in the basement, his help and everything else that had crossed my mind some seconds ago. "Talise couldn't have chosen a better friend. And I'm sure I'm not the only one who agrees."

"Well, Rav doesn't stare at me like he's ever ready to hire a mercenary to give me one of those 'accidental' deaths just for breathing...not anymore anyway."

"See? Progress." I chuckled. "We're all friends now."

   The serene, evening wind picked up, bringing with it a new chill that caused me to wrap my arms around my shivering frame. My eyes closed shut as I created friction between my hands and body, trying to savour the slight warm feeling that travelled through me.

   Suddenly, enveloped around me was a warmth that couldn't possibly be from my hands. A tightness made its way to my throat as my mind struggled to come to terms with Landon's arms around me.

   Okay, maybe I was jumping into silly conclusions too fast. It wasn't like I'd done anything to hide the fact that I was cold. He was just helping out like he always does.

   But then again, he could have just given me the jacket he was wearing.

"Beth?" His voice was so soft, almost inaudible.

"Yeah?" For mysterious reasons, I held my breath after replying.

"I don't want to be just your friend."