Chapter 105.

"Like hell she will," Rav moved till he was in front of me, shielding my vision of Speck as he snapped at him. "Beth is not going anywhere near you."

   Not that I need Rav's guardog services or anything, but I was glad he stepped up while my body stayed frozen. The only thing in motion was my mind, with thoughts of why the hell Speck wanted me to join him on stage and that the reason had to be that he was going to use the placement gun on me, starting to give me a headache. Why did he choose me first though? Why did he choose now?

   The silver lining I foresaw from being my mind controlled was the inability to be aware of the sick way he'll take care of Dorian.

   Although a part of me wanted to believe that there was still some hope in getting out of here, reality was not doing the best job reinforcing that hope. The doors which served as the entrance and exit of the assembly pod were had red dots of light on them–indicators that they were locked– they had weapons, and even if we managed to fight those on the stage and by some miracles take their weapons, any slowness on our part could be the very opportunity for Speck to do something to Dorian.

   And I couldn't see us not being slow. Especially taking in account the strength and combat skills wielded by Landon and the Yunies. Also, I wasn't going to take the fit form Speck had–something that was not common for men his age for granted.

"Beth," Speck ignored Rav, calling my name instead. "Come here."

   His hand was on Dorian's shoulder again, his fingers inching toward Dorian's neck at a slow, but nonetheless dangerous pace.

   I couldn't take this anymore.

"Okay, I'll do it." I croaked. "I'll-I'll come up. But first, leave him alone."

   Moving a stunned Rav away, I walked to the stage, ensuring that each foot forward did not wobble. I just had to keep reminding myself that this was worth it. That obeying Mr Speck and trying to stall our interaction and consequently Dorian's tragedy was worth it.

    When Speck left Dorian to the stage's edge and met me with his hand held out, I took it, allowing his too-cold-to-be-human grip to guide me his choice of spot onstage, not too far from where Dorian and Landon were. Unfortunately, in our current stance–Speck and I facing each other with considerable space between us– my back was to them. No amount of subtle eyeball work made it possible to get a good view of Dorian. I did hear, however, how every breath in and out of him was louder and heavier. He was doing a good job hiding from us down there how much pain he was in.

   My breathing passage constricted as Speck hand dipped into his pocket. Most likely for a placement gun. Guess he wasn't going to waste any time. It took everything in me to not run away. My eyes wouldn't leave his pocket, and I could feel them pricking at the sides as he pulled out a sleek, black device.

   Not a placement gun.

   The grin he directed my way showed his awareness of my paranoia and relief.

   The device in his hold was small with an oval-shaped body and a roundness that protruded at the centre.

   My guess was confirmed when his finger pushed the round area. The device was a remote. But for what?

   The answer to that instantly appeared like my question was the password. Speck and I had to take steps back as the floor between us opened up and a cube-like metallic table emerged from it.

   The fascination triggered by what just happened was made fleeting by the horror that sprung within me as I recognised what was on the table.

"Beth," The glee on Speck's face was too much to look at. "Would you enlighten everyone else on what this is?"