Chapter 120.

Despite the transparency of the government in their actions toward all that had happened, the one thing they'd been able to shield and maintain is our anonymity. With the exception of a few government authorities and our parents, though people knew that Speck was stopped by some Zavolonian students, they didn't know who we were.

   But that was going to all change after today. After today's conference, the whole world was going to find out our identities.

   Was this something I wanted? I honestly wasn't sure. But just because the government had been able to shield our identities, doesn't mean they'd done so successfully. Amongst the many things about this whole situation that interested the public, nothing stood out more than finding out who the 'Liberators' (our fanclubs' words, not mine) were.

   This resulted in multiple harassments and stalkings of any student recognised as a Zavolonian for any sort of intel. It started in the hospitals where students were recovering from the mind-control device removal surgery and still hadn't stopped even weeks after they returned to their homes.

   According to the authorities, it was best to come clean now so that this won't keep happening to them and turn to something worse along the line and they could channel their best resources to protecting us, the ones who actually needed protecting.

   In spite of the many reassuring smiles and hand squeezes I received from Mum during the entire ride to our destination, it didn't make today any less daunting. The thought of running back home and hiding under the covers for the rest of my life continued to loom over me as we were led through one of the secret passages that led to the main press conference room of the Presidential House.

"Beth," Mum said, stopping us in front of the door that had the conference room on the other side.

"Yes?"

   I knew the hug was coming before she wrapped me in it. Since the night I showed up at my doorstep, broke down in front of her and told her everything that same night through snot-filled tears, I'd been getting spontaneous hugs like these.

"I know I've said this a million times," Her words tickled my neck. "There were so many things I felt when you told me all that occurred, one being disbelief– I was ready to call the school and tell them to give me my real daughter back. Then when I realised you weren't kidding, anger. Anger toward you for spending so many weeks lying to and deceiving me and toward myself not realising you were. I also felt hurt for the same reasons and crippling fear as any mother would. Amidst everything though, one feeling never wavered and it is how proud I am and will always be of you. I don't know what I did to be blessed with such a brave, strong, daughter but I know thank God everyday that I am. I love you so much."

"Love you too," I smiled. "And I don't thank you as often as I should for being the incredible mother who raised me right all on her own and always encouraged and supported my dreams, especially when I decided to apply to Zavlon Academia. You're one of the major reasons I could never give up irrespective of how difficult it was turning out to be. Thank you, Mum. For everything."

   We held onto each other a little longer before parting, laughing when we saw each other's teary faces.

"Okay," Mum sniffed while she wiped my face and picked at my afro. "Go out there and do your best."

"I will."

   She went through the door first, leaving me behind and alone.

   I rubbed my palms together, grimacing how sweaty they were. Resisting the urge to look back the way we came and let my thoughts of running away materialise, I wiped my hands against the flair part of my thin strapped, floor length African print dress and took a deep breath. Then I turned the door knob and walked through.