Chapter 9.

Blinding lights were from every direction as my eyes and hands fumbled from my position on the floor, trying to figure out where I was.

"Whoa, easy." Tali was beside me in an instant, trying to make sure I didn't fall over as I failed to get back on my feet.

   The frequency of Tali's voice had the impact of a bullet piercing through my skull.

"What-what happened?" I asked with a scratchy throat, clutching my aching head.

"I was just about to call the ambulance I swear! When I returned to the garage..." Her rambling, just like her panicked expression, got clearer with every irregular blink.

"...and after I took off the glasses, you just passed out. What happened to you?"

"I...I really don't remember." I said, frowning at the persistent ache that surged mainly through the right side of my temple. "The last thing I recall seeing was the crowd and flashing lights and... I don't know what happened next."

   It was only when Tali held her hand out toward me that I realised I was spread across the floor, still clad in my dress.

   As she lifted me up, her eyes remained wild while she blurted, "Before I came in, your mum told me to let you know that she had an impromptu class and was leaving soon. I ran back to the kitchen when this happened but she was already gone. I didn't know whether to chase after her before calling the ambulance. Beth, I'm so sorr—"

"Tali!" I had to yell to snap her out of it. "I'm fine now. It's okay."

   She shot one last lingering look my way before engulfing me in a bone crushing hug. "I genuinely thought you were going to die."

"Tali?" I mumbled into her hair, my eyes fixed on the sight over her shoulder.

"Yeah?"

"Why's your laptop all smoky?" I pulled away to get a better look at the device on the table.

   Aside from the smoke radiating from the internal parts of the laptop, it seemed to be in its normal state from where I was standing.

"Oh, that," She replied, after tracing my stare. "Yeah, it pretty much heightened my anxiety. It wouldn't stop emitting sparks till I took your virtuo glasses off. It'll be a miracle if this thing can be fixed."

   The mention of the glasses sent my stare and presence to the downward corner of the room. I picked it up to examine what had wrought the most painful feeling I had ever experienced. My head couldn't stop racing as I observed it at eye level before pushing the 'Activate' button.

"It's not working," I remarked.

"Of course not." Talise came over. "I threw it as far away as I could from your head."

"But it doesn't have a single scratch." I brought the glasses to my ear and shook it lightly. "And everything sounds intact."

"Well it is Speck Tech."

"Which is why I'm finding it really hard to understand how such a life threatening malfunction occurred," I said, still keeping my eyes locked in the glasses.

"Don't forget it's a prototype," She shrugged.

"Still." I shook my head. The ache was fading away quicker than I'd expected, thank God. "Mr. Speck wouldn't risk such a defect. The glasses are for his students! The only other way this malfunction could occur is if..."

"...it was tampered with," she confirmed my suspicion.

   Her gaze on the now smokeless laptop moved to stare at me wide-eyed.