Chapter 52.

"I'm g-going to the b-bathroom to dry myself off," I stuttered, eventually shifting my stare to the floor.

   It was only when I'd tripped over to the bathroom and slammed the door behind me that I noticed that my towel was still in Camila's room.

   At least I had an excuse to stay in here a little while longer.

   While taking in the nature of my surroundings, my peripheral vision caught sight of a large blue towel on a metal stand at the bathroom corner.

   The coconut-lemony scent that hit my nostrils as I approached the material was additional proof to the obvious fact that the towel was Dorian's. It seemed damp from where I was standing . Probably because he finished showering not too long ago. My hands itched to get a hold of the fabric and surround myself with the wonderful scent it radiated.

   What was I doing?

   I had to get out of here with the little sanity I had left.

   After rinsing my face and giving it two slaps, I walked out of the door. The same coconut-lemon fragrance was the first thing that ambushed me with full force as I returned to the bedroom. I mean, I noticed when I first came in, but was it this strong?

   Damn it.

   My sight widened when I saw Dorian leaning on top of one sofa cushion and holding onto one of the comic books I'd stuffed in my bag.

   Bringing my comics seemed like a good idea at the time. I'd planned on using them to appear too preoccupied to engage in conversation and eventually fall asleep. I'd totally forgotten Dorian liked comic books as well.

"Sorry," he said, when realising my presence. "They were poking out from your bag and I thought I'd take a look. I've already finished the ones you gave me the other day."

   Dorian was referring to the time he came over to my home in Ridgeton to fix the drones.

   The memory of me slipping on the tarp that day and pulling him onto the floor with me as I fell was clear in my mind like it happened yesterday. I gulped as the same feelings from when it occurred arose with a strange energy and an all too familiar heat.

   This had to stop.

   I walked to the couch to take a seat, making sure I was at a reasonable distance. The weirder I acted, the weirder this situation was going to be. I had to get out of my head.

"Not at all. What comic is that?" I asked, craning my neck to get a view of what was in his hands.

   Dorian shifted his position to let me have a better glance of the comic's cover. His movement involved him switching to lean against the sofa cushion right before mine.

"Nice choice." I nodded. "Alter is one of my favourite heroes. Having the power to manipulate reality is no joke."

"What would you do if you had the power?" He questioned with curious eyes.

"I suppose the stuff anyone in their right mind should do, you know, world peace, a climate where we can survive in, no racism, justice for aliens, poverty, hunger,... There are so many things in the world that need fixing."

"I agree," he remarked. "There really is."

"What would you do?" I directed the same question to him.

"Aside from the stuff you just said, hmm..." he leaned on the fists his propped up elbows on the cushions had created. "I've got nothing."

"Are you kidding me?" I chuckled. "How about getting rid of this crappy situation we're in? You know, with the alien invasion and mind control and whatnot?"

   He merely chuckled at my outburst. "True. I suppose you're better at this game than I am."

"You suppose?" I whirled from my relaxed position on the couch to fully face him. "Hate to break it to you sweetie, but you suck."

   Where did that terrible nickname come from? Oh God. Where was a small dark hole you could crawl into when you needed one?

"Maybe you can teach me a few things," His eyes darted towards my face as he smirked, "darling."

   Wait, what?

   Why was his room so warm? It wasn't like the storm outside had gotten any better.

   I don't know how it happened, but Dorian was suddenly closer than ever. His eyes kept flickering from mine to a lower part of my face I knew all too well. My lips instantly became the hottest facial body part. The air we shared due to our proximity was getting several degrees hotter with each inhaled breath.

   This fiery sensation spread to the rest of my body in no time, making the merciless pounding of my heart in my chest ten times... better? Worse? I wasn't sure.

"Beth?" I loved how his call sounded a bit choked up and breath-filled. This meant I wasn't crazy. He felt what I was experiencing too.

"Yeah?" I didn't bother masking the shaky, out of breath tone in my voice.

   I dared to stare at his mouth. The brightness of the ceiling lights complimented the deep pink colour his lips held. And with every blink of my eye, they appeared closer and closer to my face, like they were headed my way. The urge for him to keep leaning in was something I'd never felt so strongly in my life. It was a gnawing burn that could only be quenched by one thing.

   Suddenly the phrase 'JUST GO FOR IT' in Tali's voice wouldn't stop replaying in my head in the most annoying way possible.

   The thing is, though, I really wanted to. Really, really

"Bed or sofa?" Dorian rasped, his gaze remaining locked on my lips.

   I swallowed. I think my heart just failed. Did he just say what I think he said? Did he mean it in the way I thought he did?

"W-what?"

"Bed or sofa?" He echoed with a clear tone this time. "Which d'you pick? I'm fine either way."

   All the energy I possessed was channelled to my unceasing blinking. Was he serious? More importantly, did I want to?

"Dorian..."

"You're the guest here after all and you did pay for this room...sort of, anyway." He shrugged, gathering up my sheets to stuff them into my bag. "I won't be opposed to sleeping on the sofa if you want to take the bed."

   Oh.

   That's what he meant.

"I'm fine with the sofa," I mumbled as I took my bag from his grasp.

"Okay," Dorian gave a stiff nod and took a step back.

   Guess we weren't going to address the way our hands lingered a little longer than normal after an accidental brush.

   I focused on spreading my sheets across the sofa to make my bed while Dorian dashed to the bathroom, closing the door behind him with a not-so-subtle slam.

   The shower sounds that erupted some seconds later were clearly heard despite the rain.

   I held back a scoff after several minutes passed with Dorian still cooped up in the bathroom. I chose to instead sink myself in the sofa bed I'd created and wait for sleep to take over.

A/N: Boy acting like he was the only one in need of a cold shower. 🙄.

I especially had fun writing this😂😂😂

What do you think of their almost kiss? Vote and comment if you share my frustration 😐.