Chapter Forty Three

Lia

Where is he?

Xavier has been gone for over twenty minutes. He told me he was going out to smoke with Zack and Viini but hasn't come back yet. Not that I'm mad or worried.

I miss him. I get sad when he's gone.

We've spent the past month, together. Any free time we got, we were together—studying, talking, watching a movie, having sex. The times he's not sleeping over mine or I'm not sleeping over at his, we're falling asleep on the phone together. It's hard to believe that I didn't have anyone two months ago and now I have this wonderful, hot guy that takes my breath away.

Xavier's always on my mind.

Like a Michael Jackson song.

Or Damon Torrance.

I let the girls know I'm going to use the bathroom and they tell me to be careful and scream if a douchebag gets handsy. The frat house is crowded and the guitar riffs of Knife Under My Pillow by Maggie Lindemann bounce off the walls. Girls smile my way, some complimenting my costume. Thank God there's no line for the bathroom. After, I make my way back down and instead of going back to my girls, I go looking for Xavier.

First, I go outside but don't see him or Zack. Viini is flirting with two girls, one on his lap and the other kissing him. I want to ask Viini but I don't want to ruin his...whatever he's doing. Turning back, I go inside and start looking around.

The frat house is huge, decorated to the T for Halloween—spider webs, ghosts, pumpkins, black cats. But the trace of adolescent mischievousness is present in the music, red solo cups of alcohol, pranks, and of course, sex. 

I check the kitchen, the playroom, the basement, and even upstairs but nope, he's nowhere. Then I step out into the back garden that has a large swimming pool that curves around the white pillars of the house. Some people are in the pool, some dancing near the minibar and some are playing some sort of game by the pool. 

I spot him.

With Krystal.

And it looks like they're having an argument.

Puzzled and a little worried, I make my way toward them. Why are they fighting? Why didn't he come back to me? Why did he go to Krystal? Did she make him? Thoughts cloud my mind but I stop them because I don't want to jump to conclusions. That's not fair to me or to Xavier.

As I get closer, I hear them exchanging words.

"You weren't saying that when you were fucking me!" Krystal viciously snaps at him, her lips curled into a wicked yet angry smile.

My heart drops at her words.

What is she talking about?

"Fuck you, Krystal," Xavier roughly hurls the words at her before turning around but when he catches me, his eyes widen, "Lia."

I stare at him in a mix of emotions—confusion, nervousness, anger, hurt. There's too much I'm feeling. I need him to say something before I lose my mind.

My eyes slide to Krystal and her smile morphs into an artful smirk.

"Hey, Lia," venom exudes from her, "You still a virgin?"

What?

A sick feeling unfurls in my stomach.

"Krystal, shut up," Xavier's eyes are dark with destruction but they soften when they look at me, "Come on, baby."

He grabs my hand and we're about to walk away when Krystal scoffs.

"Baby?" She's amused and surprised.