Chapter 65: Mellie's regret

I watched astonished as a bunch of new faces collected in front of me in the entrance hall. There were a couple of new people wearing cook uniforms and a whole string of new maids and butlers. Having all these new people staring at me inside my home was a tad overwhelming after the long day I had.

"Lady Riley, you've finally returned." Agnes stepped forward looking more relaxed than usual, which was odd considering all the new workers she had to supervise. I thought she would be more stressed out.

"Welcome home, Lady Riley." Bard said with a cute old man smile that reached from ear to ear.

"Thank you." I said, realising that they were all waiting for some kind of greeting from their new employer. "And I welcome all you newcomers to my home. I know you'll all fit right in with Bard and Agnes looking after you."

I chuckled nervously, I was never really one for speeches, but I was the lady of this great house so I needed to at least welcome them properly.

"Please don't be intimidated by my title or status, I'm just like anyone of you." Did I sound like one of those rich you tubers who are so out of touch with reality and try to sound relatable by throwing around phrases like, 'I'm just like you.'

"I will probably be very busy these next few weeks, so I won't have that much time to get to know you. Nevertheless, I hope we can get well acquainted soon, and I hope you all settle in well. If you have any questions please don't be afraid to ask."

That was good enough. Or at least, I was no longer motivated to try and say anything deep or wholesome. I was too tired.

This day had been so busy, from the return of the heroes at the massive festival, to my meeting with the reincarnated Prince, and then to finish off all the designs for the sacred weapons. Not to mention that I now had a little boy to look after...

As if sensing my fatigue, Agnes stepped forward, gently reaching for my arm.

"Perhaps it would be better to take dinner in your ladyship's room tonight and then settle down for the evening..?"

I smiled, relieved that she understood me so well. "That would great."

"You may all disperse. Your dinner will be taken in the servants quarters." She chirped to the assembly behind her.

Agnes slowly walked me up the stairs. Edna, Mellie and two other girls followed behind us.

When I got to my room, I was greeted by the lovely sight of a warm bath filled with rose petals and scented oils. I felt myself destress at the sight of the holy thing. A long soak in that porcelain tub would cure my everything.

The stars twinkled like jewels in the sky the way they always did in Gismead. My sore muscles and stress-induced knots came undone in my luxurious bath.

For the first time that day I was still and calm. But my mind soon drifted to darker things, ruining the effects of the bath.

The image of the cloaked man who knew my name, grinning at me in the forest was still so clear in my mind. His image haunted me because it somehow felt so familiar.

In this world where I practically have the powers of a god and stand above everyone else, the existence of a person who I could not locate was terrifying.

In my spare time during carriage rides, I closed my eyes and practiced my mapping skill, increasing the range my mind could scan over the landscape, on top of increasing the detail with which I saw things on my map. My vision now reached over the entire kingdom. To my relief and dismay I found that the clocked man was not in Girannon.