Chapter 45: Sneaking out

I stepped out onto my balcony, my ivory boots tapping lightly on the stone surface. It was quite chilly compared to my room where a nice fire was burning, so much so that I could really tell that the Flowering season had come to and end and that the Falling season had begun.

I brought out the golden scepter that had been in the trunk of treasure that the king had awarded me for placing first in the Mage tournament. The scepter was naturally quite heavy and was about the length of a broom. It was embellished with red and green gemstones at its tips and shallow carved patterns all along its surface. It was quite beautiful really.

I took a deep breath and brought the old movies from my childhood to the front of my mind. Sabrina the teenage witch, Kiki's delivery service, Hocus Pocus and Harry Potter. I pictured how all of the witches had flown through the air on magical broomsticks, I couldn't get a broomstick because I would have to go downstairs and someone would probably hear me, so my golden scepter would have to do.

I took hold of my scepter and channeled wind magic into it while visualizing the different movie scenes, willing my broom to do the same. My concentration was perfect and after a moment of channeling I could feel that my scepter was ready to act as a witches broomstick.

I tentatively took my hand off the scepter watching hopefully to see whether is was levitating. Thank goodness it was. So I gently lowered the object so that it was level just above my thighs. I then slowly sat down on the levitating scepter, hoping that it wouldn't suddenly stop levitating and leave me to fall flat on my butt.

To my surprise the scepter stayed perfectly in place, as if I didn't weigh anything.
Then I commanded the magic on my stick and willed it to rise higher. The scepter suddenly jolted upwards, almost causing me to loose my balance and fall off of it but luckily I caught myself by grabbing hold of the top of the stick and leaning some of my weight there. I hovered there for a moment, allowing myself to get used to the unusual weightlessness of being in the air. Then I set my sights Southward and willed the wind magic on the stick to fly me forward.

I couldn't suppress the laugh bubbling in my chest as the scepter swiftly took off South, towards Azmeth.

As a child, I had always envied the birds that were able to fly high in the sky, and glide through the air, but right then, I was just like one of those birds, soaring freely through the air. I looked down on Gismead and smiled at a view I had never been able to see before, a birds eye view of the brilliantly magical Gismead. From my height I could still see the candles levitating around the Royal palace. My eyes peered curiously at the still bustling harbor side, much fewer people were walking about but still many compared to the rest of the sleeping Gismead. I then took a small detour and veered my scepter to the West and flew over the forest, the tall green trees were just inches below my boots.

The feeling was indescribable. I felt so free and unburdened. A sensation I had never felt before. Even after dying and leaving all my Earthly worries back in New York, the gods had simply given me a new task and an instant pile of new worries. But right now I was completely by myself, unshackled by my responsibilities. I promised myself that I would fly like this every day.

I watched intently as the grand nobles house's became smaller and smaller and turned into ordinary houses, then the ordinary houses started to look more decrepit and rundown until I was convinced that I had reached Azmeth.

Agnes was right about the stench, a stark contrast between the beautiful fresh air of the noble sect. I then stopped flying and levitated stationary in the air. I took out the page I had ripped out from the book of Maps and figured out where I was positioned. I was floating over the edge of Azmeth, just above a large pub. Thankfully the map Also showed the pipe lines that ran under and through the district, so locating a pipe wouldn't be a problem.