Chapter 44: The Plan for Sneaking out

Agnes was so full of pride for Riley that it felt like her chest would burst. Her Lady was now a second rank noble...

Agnes almost couldn't believe it, however as she thought it over, if it had something to do with Lady Riley, anything was possible. Agnes had grown so fond of her over the past season that she looked on Lady Riley as if she were her own child. Agnes had always wanted children but a life in service didn't make time for your personal life. But now it felt as if she had her own child, she knew that she couldn't be so presumptuous as to claim Lady Riley as her child, but she felt deep in her heart that pride she felt for Lady Riley was the pride a mother felt for their child.

"The house..." Agnes murmured.

"Excuse me?" Asked Riley hearing her.

"Well your a second rank noble now aren't you?" Agnes Asked with flustered red cheeks.

"Well yeah, I guess." Riley smiled.

"Then as per custom, renovations must be made to the house." Agnes stated as if it were obvious. "I'll go and arrange with the builders to come by today and to some renovations!" Agnes swiftly got up from the couch and exited the room. Although Agnes did want some renovations to happen, she really just used it as an excuse to get out of the room because she didn't want the others to see her cry, with happiness.

Bard passed her on the staircase and asked her why she was in such a hurry, she quickly told him about Lady Riley's promotion and then hurried down to the maids quarters where she could have a little cry.

Bard on the other hand didn't feel the need to cover up his emotions, the sweet old man simply took out his handkerchief and wept proudly on the stair case.

"What's the matter Mr Bard?" Asked Auberon as him and Rudyard were moving some furniture through the entrance hall.

"Oh dear men, nothing is the matter with me, in fact nothing could be better!" He said as he dabbed his tissue against his sunken cheeks. "Listen to this fine piece of news. Our lady has been promoted to a noble of second rank." He declared, with sparkles in his eyes.

"What great news!" Exclaimed Auberon. "But I can't say it was unexpected... Lady Riley deserved to be announced a second rank noble quite a while ago. Don't you think so Rudyard?"

Rudyard nodded his head but said nothing. He knew that although it was a great honor to be declared a second rank noble, it was really one of the ways for the Royal family to control you more. If you are a second rank noble you have to declare all projects and businesses you own to the Royal family, also you have to have permission from them to leave the Kingdom. Although this promotion might raise Riley's status, it was also the Royal family declaring her a valuable asset to the kingdom and tightening the reins on her.

"Did I hear you correctly?!" Called out the voice of Augustus with young Ilsa by his side. "Our Lady has become a second rank noble..." he looked up at Bard awaiting his response.

Bard nodded down at him, still wiping the tear from his face.

"A feast I say! A feast!" Augustus pumped his fist into the air. "Come Ilsa make haste we must prepare a congratulatory feast!" With that the two of them dashed back into the kitchen and began cooking up. storm.

Prince Geoffrey and ten other individuals sat beside his father at the large round table. They were part of the governing body, the advisors to the king, a group that was tasked in assisting the king in governing the kingdom, although all the final decisions were left to the King.

The group had no name, but as a collective they were the most powerful governing force in Girannon.

First rank noble Lord Slevonth De Ilsteinweiss was an plump and friendly looking man with his constant smiling face and rosy cheeks, however, the few people who really knew the Head of the Church of magic knew that he was a wolf in sheep's clothing. A strict and ruthless dictator of the church. on a good note he actually was supremely devoted to magic and the church.