Chapter 5: Understanding my powers

After we had gotten back from the town square that day, I had asked Lucian if there was anyway a person could measure their power, if there was some sort of ranking system on which I could see how much power I had compared to others. Lucian had told me about the gemstone test that every child did in order to see what magic they could perform. He told me to get a goodnight's rest and tomorrow he would help me do the test.

I had another good night's sleep that night.

I'm this new world, Arteria, there were only six days in a week. A day for each main category of magic: Day of Wind, day of Water, day of Earth, day of Fire, day of Lightning, day of Dark.

On the day of Lightning the people had the half day off, and on the day of Dark people had the full day off. It was the equivalent of the weekend back on earth.

Today was the day of Dark, so at midday Lucian came to the apothecary to pick me up, he took me to the outskirts of the village where a herd of sheep grazed calmly in their pen. We settled a few meters away from their fence. I waited keenly as Lucian pulled a small burlap sack from his pocket and held it out in front of me, he then opened the sack and revealed six crystals, that shined beautifully in the light.

"Each crystal is to act as a catalyst for magical current, these stones make it much easier for magicians to bring forth their latent power, hence you will often find these stones engraved into magical items or set into people's jewellery in order to make casting magic easier."

So, they are like magic conductors.

"These stones are also used to test a persons' magical abilities. Since each of these stones was formed with one type of magic, they only conduct one type of magic. Therefore, only people that use the same category of magic as the stone can cause a magic reaction within the stone."

"I understand." I said concentrated on his explanation.

"Let me demonstrate." Lucian picked up a red coloured crystal and held it out in front of him. "I'm going to channel my power into it now." After a moment a brilliant large red flame burned from the top of the crystal. I took a step back because of the sheer heat of the flame.

"This red crystal draws out fire magic. Since I am skilled in fire magic, this crystal catches a flame when I touch it."

"Amazing..." I breathed out as I watched the crystal burn. I suddenly felt really appreciative that I was reincarnated into a world with magic.

Lucian smirked at me. His brilliant blue eyes showing his pride in himself. I chuckled at him. For someone who was always so serious and brooding, he sure loved to be complimented.

"Can you use any of the other crystals?" I asked, wanting to see more.

"Let me explain the way of the world to you first. Every person in the whole of Arteria can use some sort of magic and generally a person can use only one type of magic, but you occasionally find someone who can use two different types of magic. There are some cases where a person can use three different types of magic, however it is extremely rare and usually triple users are among the Royal families, or distinguished nobles. However, there are a few cases where normal subjects are born as triple users."

The way he said that last bit made me a bit suspicious.

"Lucian... are you a person who can use three different types of magic?" I asked noticing the sly grin on his handsome face.

"Yes, I can." He smirked down at me from his height. "It's because I could use all three disciplines, that the Knights Order sent for me from the capitol, a few months ago I travelled there and took the Knights exam, I passed very well. I only came back home to stay with my mother for a few months and prepare for joining the Order."