Chapter 16: The Royal ball

Third Person

Riley and Alice ran to the carriage that was waiting for them outside the arena that would take them to the Marcellus's house, so they could get ready for the Royal ball that would be held in a few hours.

Meanwhile, the Royal family was seated in their beautiful porcelain carriage that was drawn by brilliant white horses with golden mains.

"It seems you were right about her Kristopher." commented the first prince, Geoffrey, as he gazed out the window and recalled Riley's perfomance in the tournament. She was truly gifted in the arts of magic. Geoffrey appeared to be relaxed and simply gazing out onto the street, but his ferocious golden eyes told of a man who was scheming and analysing. His mind twisted and turned around the possibilities of her origins. But she was truly baffling to him...

"You said that she had no identity, didn't you?" Geoffrey asked his younger brother.

"Yes, she has no memories except for her name and no possessions except for a magical artefact." Replied Kristopher.

"And you believe her..." coaxed Geoffrey.

"It was not a matter of believing her, brother. I saw no malicious intent in her." To anyone else, this would just sound like prince Kristopher was using his intuition to judge Riley, but it was much more serious than that. There was a secret behind the eyes of the royal family. Their enchanting and compelling golden eyes had mysterious and unquantifiable power. The secret power of the golden eyes was not even completely understood by the family themselves, but they knew that their eyes could see through bad intentions or maliciousness. Thus, Geoffrey understood when his brother told him that her believed that Riley meant Girannon no harm.

"I see. Since she does not have identification, she is not a citizen of Girannon, and she is perfectly within her rights to leave this country whenever she wants. However, we cannot let magic like hers fall into the hands of the other Four Kingdoms..." Geoffrey said.

The King wordlessly nodded at his son. Leofrick knew what to do, to bind her to this country.

At the Marcellus Mansion, everyone rushed to get ready. Two maids were helping Alice put on her dress and do her hair while another two maids were doing the same for Riley. Eleanora was also dolling up for the dance in her bedroom with the help of her maids.

Cornelius and Umfrey Marcellus were waiting downstairs patiently, while the children got into the beds and went to sleep. After an hour, the whole crew got into their carriage and were headed for the castle.

Riley didn't want to blink in fear of missing anything of this fantasy spectacle before her eyes. The castle was utterly magnificent and enormous, the entrance was lit up with a thousand floating candles, and hypnotic music was being played by musicians on instruments she had never seen before.

They all exited their carriage and made their way to the palace and once again Riley was awestruck, this time by the beauty of the interior of the castle. Exquisite marble floors and unbelievable paintings on the wall, and gold and silver details everywhere. Jewels and light and music and warmth and chatter, Riley was seeing her fantasies come true.

Riley

It wasn't just that the castle was beautiful, the people were beautiful too. They were literally manga and anime characters come to life. I turned back to see Alice in her stunning gown, chatting with two of her admirers. Her daring low back and thin material was seeming to catch her a lot of attention.

Alice's dress