Chapter 29: Story Telling

Lavinia

Lavinia held up her beautifully crafted white gold mirror and turned her head slowly in order to absorb every angle of her perfect face. Her skin was pale and completely unblemished, her lips were plump and a pretty shade of pink thanks to the rouge and dye she used daily, her enchanting grey eyes had specks of blue in them - she loved her eyes because she always got compliments on how pretty they were, and her pale blonde hair was let loose down her back in flowy waves, she crowned her head with a dainty yet striking bloodstone tiara. Today she wouldn't make the same mistake as last night, Lady Alice and Lady Riley got all the attention at the ball last night because of Lady Riley's singing and Lady Alice's grand dress. Today she would be the one to stand out, thus she had her maids help her into the blood-red dress that her father had given her for her birthday.

The stones were all extremely rare bloodstones that were only found in the Kingdom of Malesh, from the infamously dangerous Malesian mines. She swooned as she twirled in the mirror and admired her own beauty. This was how she loved to be: completely decked out in riches, a lifestyle that she wanted to maintain, thus she had set her sights on Sinjin Von Esterheim.

He came from the most powerful and wealthiest family in the kingdom, besides the royal family, so she knew that she would never want for anything if she married him. Not to mention that he was part of the knight's order and was very well respected for his mage abilities. When she took her place by his side, she would gain wealth, power and money all in one. It was just a matter of capturing her attention - something she wasn't able to do last night because of the distractions lady Alice and Riley become. With her bloodstone dress, she would be the centre of attention, what she deserved to be, unlike that peasant Lady Riley.

Her fist tightened at the thought of how she had refused to kiss her ring. She had just walked away as if nothing had happened. As if she wasn't even there. Lavinia squeezed her palms so tightly that one of her nails broke through her soft skin.

"Ah!" she cried out as a few beads of blood dripped out of the small wound.

"Here Milady!" called her maid frantically as she handed Lavinia a small cup of a red potion. Lavinia took a sip and swallowed the bitter drink. Her eyes widened as the cut on her hand immediately sealed close.

"What potion is this?" She asked, wondering if her father had managed to create a new healing potion.

"This is the renowned 'Lady Delton' potion, Milady." Replied her maid happily.

Lavinia felt her blood run cold at the thought that she had just drunk that peasant's potion. She immediately turned around and struck her maid in the face with such force that the poor girl fell to the floor, clutching her cheek.

"How dare you!" Lavinia screeched, down at the maid as she was curled up on the floor clutching her face.

"You!" She pointed at one of her other maids. "Get her out of my sight!"

After the two maids had scurried out of the room fearfully, Lavinia picked up one of the silk cloths on her dressing table and wiped the blood from her nails, from the cut she had caused when she struck the maid's face. After she was satisfied that her nails were clean Lavinia then headed down to the gardens where everyone was told to gather after they had had their breakfast.

Livinia was about to make her big entrance and stun the room when one of her followers/sidekicks approached her.

"Lady Livinia, I need to have a word with..." said Arcadia, her voice was slightly shaky because she was still building up the courage to say what she wanted to say.

"Ugh!" Groaned Lavinia irritatedly. "What is it?" she snarled at her. Being the way that Lavinia was, a bully, she often tried to intimidate the other royal ladies surrounding her to become part of her little clique, or else be targeted by her for the rest of their lives. Arcadia Morgana Brunhild had been one of those girls. Arcadia was an intelligent, soft-spoken and kind girl, and when her family had been promoted to third rank nobles she had been thrilled and excited for her future. However, reality had struck her hard when she had the misfortune to meet Lady livinia Izora Hestia. At first, Livinia had been kind to her and had complimented her on her bright green hair and blue eyes. Arcadia thought that the more experienced second rank lady was taking her under her wing and showing her the ways of society, but she was wrong, what Lavinia was actually doing was sussing out her competition and then making them part of her little clique. After Arcadia was firmly within Lavinia's grasp, she took every opportunity to make Arcadia doubt her self and feel bad by either insulting the poetry she had written or by insulting the clothes she wore, after a year she barely had any confidence in herself left.