19

Pandavas and Draupadi completed their 12 years of Vanvas and 1 year of Agyatvas.
As promised, Veda returned back after their incognito.
The conditions were made for the war. No women were allowed at the battlefield.
Anyways I wasn't going to involve. And Shikandini will achieve her manhood soon.
Before the war began Kunti revealed Karna's identity, the sudden reveal of truth shocked him.
But seeing her mother cry, Karna promised that he will not harm any of his sons, except Arjuna.
Karna wanted to cry hard but he held back infront of her.
This whole heart breaking scene was also witnessed by Veda.
Veda was very sad. She knew the truth from the beginning but still she couldn't tell him before.
It was already dark. Karna was standing near the river bank. He was just staring at the waters.
"You are here?" said Karna sensing the presence of Veda.
"Karna..."
He immediately stopped her.
"You knew... You knew this from the very first day...
But still you didn't find the need to tell me the truth..." his voice broke at the end of the statement.
He tried hard to hold back but he couldn't.
"I never imagined that my life was just a lie."

"Leave... " he sounded tired, weak.

"Kar-"

"I don't deserve any happiness, I don't deserve you,...."
*sigh*
Karna took a long a breathe and said
"Veda... You should go back to your place...You can't stay here any longer " he sounded breathless.  Karna said he wanted Veda to go away but deep down his soul was screaming for her to Stay.
Veda was frightened with the thought of separation.

"You have no reason to be here. You don't deserve to be here. This place is going turn into a grave soon. I don't want you to be here and experience all the deaths and mournings. I don't want you to see me raise my weapons against my brothers, my nephews "

"Go back to your place. Paint whatever you want. Be happy. And if possible...
Try to forget about me."
He handed Veda a bracelet that he was wearing as a last gift of his memory. 
Veda understood his pain. He loved her. He certainly knew what Veda was capable of, he knew she wasn't weak but...
Karna doesn't want her see his fierce side.
He only wanted her to remember the Karna that only she knows. His soft side, which only Veda has seen.
Veda was silent. She stubbornly stayed there for sometime.

"I said LEAVE!. That's an order! "
He gave an order. Veda knew if someone violates it then it's a matter of great disrespect to the King.

Veda flinched at his voice and walked a few steps away from him. Tears clouded her sight. *sigh*

She ran back to him and kissed him so hard as if it's going to be their last.
Many thoughts crossed Karna's mind. If he doesn't let her go now. He was afraid he can never let her go.
He tried to push her away but she circled her arms around her neck. Karna stopped resisting and gave into her touch.
She gave him a tight hug after it. Karna smelled her scent for one last time before she leaves.
She pushed him away and ran without looking back again.
Karna was frustrated. He kicked the sand below and shouted out loud.
Tears streamed down his face.

I'm going to come back and get you out of this misery. I promise.
thought Veda.

Then he had to sacrifice his Kavach and Kundal.
He already lost many things in life and losing her, only added more agony to him.

It was the time of the war.
The pain made him even more ruthless. He became wild and killed the soldiers mercilessly.

Veda skipped exactly to the day Karna died. It was the 17th day of the war.
By the time she reached the place Kunti revealed his identity to the Pandavas. Arjuna was crying. Guilt was clearly visible on his face. He could hardly talk. Veda was scared. She is literally seeing her love dying. She came closer to him.
Karna looked at her.
"Hey...I t-told y-you t-to go b-ba-ck h-ome".