𝔁𝔁𝓲. the decision

chapter twenty-one

chapter twenty-one

for the couple of days following Alex's encounter with Stefan, where it was realized that she did in fact need to make a choice quickly, she spent her time in isolation. one would assume that she would spend time with the people she had to choose between, but Alex has a habit of doing the unexpected. you could call it a time of self-reflection. she didn't worry about what anyone else was doing, what they were plotting, or where they were doing it. the time she spent alone was important for her decision making.

though her trip of enlightenment wasn't spent entirely alone. during the second half of her journey back to Mystic Falls she ran into the only piece of a family that she did not have to fight over, one that no matter how much time they spent together or apart, she could always find a sense of comfort and stability with Katherine.

"so..." Katherine starts, sipping on her kool-aid juice a bit too annoyingly, "did you shag him before or after he and Elena broke up. the when, where and how is important, for our research of course"

that comfort quickly turned into annoyance as Katherine mentioned one of the few things Alex did not want to talk about for the rest of eternity.

"i'm not talking about this with you" Alex responded while keeping her eyes on the road as she drove. one more hour. I can survive this for one more hour. she thought to herself.

Katherine let out a dramatic whine, "oh come on. let me in on the juicy details of your hot make up sex. i'm bored and need some entertainment"

Alex reached over and turned up the volume of the radio, the sound of the most recent pop song blared throughout the car, "sorry, what was that? I can't hear you"

"you're so childish" Katherine laughed over the music, but noticed the glare Alex gave her, "okay, fine. i'm the childish one"

"now that is something we can agree on" Alex smirked, knowing that she had now won their little battle. the two friends then sat in silence for a few moments, until Katherine once again opened her mouth.

"one last question," the doppelgänger declared, turning in her seat to face Alex, "have you made your choice yet?"

Alex expected that question at some point, but it didn't make the answer easy. choosing between her family and the man she's loved for over a hundred years was quite difficult. there were pros and cons to both, but deep down she knew her answer. she just didn't want to accept it yet.

the fake Pierce sister checked the time on the clock, "I'll have the answer in one more hour. that's how long it'll take till we get back to Mystic Falls"

"let me guess; the first one you go to will be the one you say goodbye to"

the heretic didn't want to admit that Katherine was right, so she stayed silent. they were always good at reading and understanding each other, they knew each other's next moves before the other even made it. Alex was grateful Katherine wasn't one of the people she had to choose from, because she knew that no matter what choice she made Katherine would be there for her.