Chapter 4

Steve's POV

This house is reeking. Like literally. It's becoming too much for me to bear the fragrance that has been lulling around. It's making my head ache. That's why I stepped outside for a bit.

I already know it's the scent of my mate. There's no doubt in that, and I am much eager to see them, but I'm not ready to be bounded in a bond yet. I don't want to feel burdened by something already destined for me. I want to love and know someome for them, to have a normal attachment.

I know mates don't work this way, and I won't be able to resist once I see them. That's why it's better if I don't see them at all, for now. I will when I'm ready.

As I've decided, and getting ready to leave, my youngest brother, Peter, comes running out.

"Mom wants you at the table." He pants, there's scatters of mayo around his mouth, I grimace. "Everyone's calling for you."

"Alright." I sigh, even if I don't want to, I've gotta meet them tonight, I can't upset mom and dad, but no worries, I'll talk to my mate and arrange an understatement. That's right.

Peter turns on his heels and leaves, probably to stuff his mouth with even more food. That kid can surely eat lots. At my 16th birthday he got sick because he ate too much cake, he was once even hospitalized because of his unhealthy eating habits. But no one has the heart to stop him as he's the baby of our house.

Shoving my hands into my pockets, I walk back to the house, my head buzzing with the scent floating around. With one final deep breath, I enter the dining hall.

My eyes slightly roam around before fixating on the emerald color eyes of a girl I immediately recognize as my mate. My breath hitches, so does hers, as I notice the gulp of air she gathers.

"Come on, sit with us Steven." Alpha Romanoff instructs and I barely nod my head.

Peter and Bucky really gets along with the younger Romanoff, Yelena, the three already looks like a group of mischief makers. I wonder what they're talking about.

My eyes travel back to Natasha, and don't move from hers as I sit down and let myself get served. I can feel my wolf groaning and crawling, wanting to surface and get to his mate, but I keep him at bay, digging my nails onto my knees, keeping up a stoic posture to survive through the dinner.

~~~

Much to my dismay, the dinner took longer than I could tolerate but now I'm finally free. I almost sprint to my car after bidding farewell to everyone. Her scent doesn't falter even a bit as I lean against my car and close my eyes to keep myself calm and composed.

Mom, dad and my brothers all say bye and get in the other car, I see Alpha and Luna Romanoff walking back to their house, only then do I relax a little.

It was so unmanly of me. I feel ashamed.

I lean my arm over the hood of my car and rest my head on it, regretting my poor decisions, right then the heavenly odor of flowers and something like salted caramel wafts through my nose and I'm jolted around.

The same emerald eyes stare right at me. This time I actually spare a moment to really look at her.

Her thick and fiery red hair is tied in a gorgeous french braid, a few strands falling off the sides, her upturned nose sitting perfectly on her perfectly shaped face. She's wearing a beautiful blue dress, that's hugging her slightly smaller frame. She's breathtakingly beautiful to say in one word.

"You didn't have to run away from me you know. I'm not dying to be your mate and marry you and live happily ever after. It would have been nice if you just said hi and then rejected me. No actually, it would've been better if you said hi and I rejected you-"

"Wait wait wait, what?" My brows furrow, "Why would I reject you? Shit, do you want to reject me? But why? I don't think I-"

"Shush." She rolls her beautiful eyes before folding her arms across her chest. "You didn't want to reject me? Then why did you leave as fast as possible? And when you saw me, you looked like you've seen a rogue and you want to tear them apart with your bear teeth." She narrows her eyes.

My head hangs low, "I'm sorry for my behavior." I respond, overcoming my senses of insecurity and puzzlement. "I shouldn't have behaved that way. I just- I just-"

"I understand." She says in a much softer tone. I already love how her voice is a bit scratchy yet soothing.

"I don't know much about you, but I've got one thing to say, I'm not ready to have a mate yet and I don't want anyone to know about us. Not yet. Only after my coronation in 2 months."

Without my knowing, my face falls and I unconsciously fidget with my fingers, breathing out a toil of smokes in the cold night.

"Alright." I nod, I was the one hiding so why do I feel so bad now? "I understand. I, myself, am not ready yet, which is why I was hiding. But I have one proposition to make as well."

She raises an eyerbow, "What?"

"We can at least try to get along, right? Let's see where the Moon and our bond takes us?" I ask wishfully.

Her face contorts into a look of perplexion before slowly the clouds clear off, and she smiles, melting my heart and rebuilding it and breaking it all over again. I almost die of heart attack.

My wolf smirks. That bitch.

"I'd like to try that. Alright then, see ya." She holds her hand out.

My insitinct is to have her closer than possible but my mind is fighting over the bond, trying to be logical and practical. I stretch my hand and tentatively touch hers. Sparks fly through as our bond hums in acknowledgment, happy to have the mates connected in some way.

I shake her hand which looks so small against mine but she's got a firm grip, and I love how it fits perfectly against mine.

"Goodbye matie." She winks before grabbing the sides of her dress and running inside the house.

I chuckle at her adorableness before waving my hand when she turns her head around a last time.

"Good bye."

~~~

A/N:-

Let me clarify something- their wolves are part of them but they share the same body, soul and mind so it's like your own self. But the wolves have their own existence as well.

I hope you like the story so far...

Thank you so much for 100 reads, it means a lot! 🌹

~N~