Chapter 12

Steve hasn't contacted me ever since our conversation last night. At first some weird, threatning thoughts came into my mind, but as time went by, I started to grow a bit worried. I hope he's okay.

"He's not." Natalia breaks my mental battle, her voice a bit strained. "He's sick, I can feel it."

We don't usually share feelings but wolves have the highest sensing powers about the whereabouts of their mates, thus if one is feeling something at extreme, the other would eventually feel it.

Her statement makes my stomach drop, and I anxiously dial his number. Unreachable.

"Should I just go visit him?"

"Call James. He must know."

Since our last rough patch at Steve's, James and I have gotten a lot better and I started calling him James, I don't like the name Bucky. And he seems to respect me more now. Steve said he has told him about us, and I don't mind as long as he keeps it a secret.

I quickly dial James' number and restlessly chew on my bottom lip as the line rings. He picks up after three rings.

"Hey, sis-in-law ."

"Hey, uhm is Steve okay? He hasn't contacted me since last night and I can not reach him."

He remains silent for a moment before speaking, "He's caught cold. A bad one. But no worries he'll get better in a few hours, you know. Maybe he didn't want you to worry over nothing."

Shit. I kept him in the rain for so long. I shouldn't have.

"Can I come over?"

"Uhm sure. Just don't tell him I told you."

"Okay. Thanks, James."

"Don't mention it." He hangs up.

Taking my car keys, I storm off to the parking lot of my school when Bruce jumps around to my face. I stumble back, startled.

"Gosh Bruce! You scared me."

"You don't seem to notice me a lot now a days." He says darkily, pushing his glasses back on his nose. "Where are you going now?"

His tone sounds different from other days and I have to ponder a bit before replying. Since the party last night, he's behaving weird. Is Steve right? No, it can't be.

"I was heading to Steve's. He's sick."

"Oh I see. Did you two stay up late in the rain?"

Why do I have to answer that to him? He's making me feel really uneasy.

"Uhm yeah, we kinda caught up." I say with my brows drawn together, unsure of what to say. "Can I go now? I'll see you tomorrow."

I walk past him and unlock my car door, getting inside of it. I feel a hand above my head, I turn around to see Bruce keeping his hand above so I don't bump against the roof. I try to smile thankfully but my face contorts into an awkward, tight smile.

I shut the car door and wave at Bruce, who smiles sheepishly at me, like a creep. I pay no further attention to him for now, and start the car, wanting to see my sick mate as soon as possible.

~~~

Steve looks worse than I had imagined. He's paler, and his blue eyes have sunken in his eye sockets, while constant coughs keep rippling through his throat. I watch sympathetically.

"I-'ll be," coughs, "fine, Nat. You didn't have to come."

"Yes, I can see that, how fine you are." I respond sarcastically and help him lay down against the headboard. "Do you always take this long to heal? An Alpha shouldn't take this long." I ask worriedly as I'm sat by him on the bed.

He smiles softly, taking my hand and stroking it with his thumb, "No, I heal in maximum 2 hours usually. It's probably some nasty cold. Or pneumonia. I dunno." He shrugs as if it's nohing. I frown.

I gently slap his arm, "Don't be so careless about your health. Should I bring some herbal liquid from our pack's Elder? It helps, really."

"Mom had already sent Peter to bring some."

I sigh in relief a bit.

"Tell Natalia that I'm sorry."

"Tell him to take care of himself first. I can wait a bit longer."

"Natalia has ordered you to take care of yourself first."

Without saying anything he suddenly leans forward and holds the side of my face. I stiffen slightly before I feel his lips gently press against my temple, and he kisses there sweetly.

"For Natalia." He whispers after pulling away, I smile shyly while Natalia literally purrs and rolls on her back.

"She's giddy."

Steve chuckles, "So is Stephan."

We keep looking at each other's eyes while our hands are entwinned together in the middle, never-breaking smiles on our faces.

A knock on his door interrupts us, I look over to see Peter has returned. We both jolt our hands apart.

"Oh hey Nat."

"Hey Peter. Come on, come inside." He smiles before walking around the bed and hands Steve a cup, filled with herbal tea.

"Make sure he drinks it whole. I'll leave now, MJ's downstairs waiting for me."

"Alright. Have fun." I wave at him and he leaves, smiling ear to ear.

MJ is his mate. Even though they're too small, almost pups, they've managed to find each other. And I can't describe how adorable they look together, their love and innocence is too pure for this world. Yelena loves to have fun with them. Now a days, Yelena, Peter, MJ and Mavy, have become the mischief group of four, and no one knows what's these four been up to. But we all love them like this anyway.

"How's James? I mean, does he feel bad about not having his mate yet?"

"Nope. He loves joking and playing around. he thinks having a mate means to be bounded."

"That's bad."

"I know. Just let him find his, they'll surely pull him around." We both laugh at that.

After a few more minutes, I see Steve yawning and his eyes drooping. The tea's having a effect on him.

"You take some rest, I'll visit later." I say, standing up to leave but he grabs my wrist.

"Please, stay." My heart melts and I nod subconsciously.

I help him lay down and pull the covers over his body, then take seat by his head. I slightly lean over and bury my fingers in his soft, blonde hair, gently running them through the fluffiness.

He makes a content noise and closes his eyes, wrapping my free hand in a death grip and drifting into slumber.

I stay like that for I don't know how long untill I start to doze off as well. I fall asleep like that, with my one hand in my mate's hair and another in his grasp, my head against the headboard. Although the position is quite uncomfortable, I sleep soundly.

Steve's sweet odor invades my nostrills and calms my nerves like nothing before.