Chapter 9

We head over to a cafe across the road and Steve sits me and Bruce down before  leaving, to probably order something.

"I should leave now. I've got my violin class." Bruce mumbles after Steve leaves.

"Stay, you and Steve can get along and then the three of us will have a great time."

"No Nat. I need to leave. Please. Say bye to Steve for me."

I nod with an empathetic smile as Bruce stands up and leaves. Just then Steve returns with three choco shakes on a tray.

"Where's Bruce?"

"He left. He's got violin class." I say, taking one glass and sipping into it, the coldness soothing my throat. "He seemed a bit upset." I add a bit worried.

"You two seem really close." Steve remarks, and I swear I see his jaw clench ever so lightly, that makes me smirk.

"Why? Are you jealous?"

He blushes at my comment but doesn't meet my eyes.

"Do you wanna walk around the park?"

He diverts the conversation but I nod nonetheless. It'd be nice to have some time spent with him. Last few days have been hectic with exams and everything, we couldn't meet much.

To be honest, it feels amazing to spend time with my mate. Whole of my being craves his presence and attention, and it burns when we're not aaround each other. As soon as we meet or even touch the slightest, it's as if someone has poured ice water all over the burnt area. The more days are passing, the more difficult it's getting to stay apart.

When we are together time flies by in a whisk, and then when we are not, all I can think about is him, his eyes, his lips, his abs, his face. Only him. He has occupied the whole of my mind and heart, and it's scary. I don't think I can keep him away very much longer.

I don't even know why am I resisting? We can be mates and still hide from others, right? Why do we have to keep our bonding restricted? I'm such an idiot.

I gotta take an iniative.

Yes, right. I'm ready. I wanna be with Steve, I'll let the world know later, after I keep him to myself a bit longer. It makes me feel giddy inside.

Wait wait, but what if he's not ready? He wanted to delay the mate thing as well, shit. He probably wants nothing to do with me. The idea makes my heart fall into my stomach and I can't help but feel dread.

"Hey, what's wrong?" Steve asks, gently tugging at the corner of my pinky finger, not really sure if he should hold it.

I smile, my anxiousness slowly drifting away and I hold his larger hand fully, wrapping my fingers around it.

"Nothing." I smile the most genuine one I have ever given to anyone but my pops. "Tell me, what color do you like?"

"Mmm..." He thinks for a moment, frowning and then his face lits up, "Green. Just like the one in your eyes."

My heart does the stupid somersault, and swoons. He's too precious for this world.

"Your?"

"Blue. Like your eyes." He chuckles at my answer but the blush on his cheeks say that it made his heart flutter as well. "I started loving oceans ever since I saw your eyes." I say genuinely, meaning everyword.

He stops walking and takes both of my hands in his, the birds chirping in the background as a small fountain sprinkles water around the park, I stare deep into his eyes, feeling myself lose into them.

"Thank you for not rejecting this bond." He begins and doesn't let me respond as he continues, "I know how much it means for you to become a female Alpha and organize your pack, and I know how hard it is to be the first female Alpha in over a century. I want you to know that I'm never gonna be on your way to success and your leadership. Instead, I wanna support you with everything I have."

His words are pure, sincere and spoken from heart which is flashing through his honest eyes. I feel myself falling even deeper in love, I squeeze his hands back in response, words seem to get stuck in my throat.

"Did I get Natasha Romanoff speechless?" He chuckles, lightening the atmosphere. "Oh my goodness, I did!" He pumps his fist in the air and I have to laugh loudly before slapping his arm playfully.

"Shut up." I subtly wipe the corner of my eyes, gosh I've gotten too soft because of this idiot. "It's just, your words touched my heart."

"At least my words got place in your heart." He suddenly gets serious.

I only look at him.

Not only your words, but all of you has taken whole of my heart.

I keep the reply in myself though, unable to muster the courage to express it out loud. Some other day maybe.

"Uhm Nat?" He inquires after a more of walking through the park, and somehow we have ended up close to the woods, a sequestered place. "Can I ask something?"

"Hmm?"

"C-can I-I hug you? One time only. It's totally fine if you're not okay with it, I'm so stupid for asking-"

I stop his rambling by wrapping my arms around his neck and hugging him.

The feeling of having him so close is beyond the world, undefiable, otherworldly. My whole being buzzes with cherishment as I hug my mate for the very first time. I hear him inhale sharply before his muscular arms wrap themselves around my middle and he slightly pulls me close, making me tip on my toes to match the height difference.

His body is spreading warmth and melting the icings I have left in myself, embracing my heart into a new found love. He carefully puts his chin on my shoulder and his beard tickles my cheek, I giggle softly.

"What?" He chuckles.

"Your beard, it's tickling."

He laughs softly then pulls away. I immediately miss the feeling of his body pressed to mine, but shrug it off.

"Shall we head back now?"

"Yep, I think so, before our teachers start to wonder where we went off to."

He agrees and we turn our way back.

~~~

"Did you miss school today?" Mom asks as soon as I enter my house after school.

"Only first period."

"Why?"

"I went out a bit."

"With whom?"

"Mom please. I'm am an adult."

"You're not 18 yet."

"With Steve." I roll my eyes.

"I can't believe how are you gonna be an Alpha when you skip classes and wander around with a boy whose not your mate. People talks Alianova, you have to understand."

"He is my-, friend. It's nothing between us. For Goddess' sake leave me be for a bit mom!"

"And for Goddess' sake behave a little more!"

"What's happening in here?" Pops enters the scene and I have to sigh out.

"Nothing." I leave past my mom, knowing Pops will handle her.

Will she ever let me live my life on my own?

I can't wait to become the Alpha and declare to the world that Steven Grant Rogers is my mate, only then would she keep quiet.