Chapter 8

Steve's POV

It's been a few days since Nat came over my house. We've been in contact since then and we've gotten much closer as well.

I feel like her as one of my best friends in the shortest time. Since I have only one or two friends at school except my brothers, it feels really good to have someone I can share my feelings with. She's really sweet and patient, although she seemed much rude and intentional at our first meeting. I'm glad I have her as my mate.

"Hey Stevie." Bucky emerges through the door of my room when I'm packing my backpack for school. His eyes look slightly dampened.

"Hey, you okay?" I ask, placing a hand over his shoulder.

My insides fill with concern because I love my brothers too much. With Bucky I've got some special bond as we shared the womb together as pups. He even knows about Natasha and I.

"Yeah, it's just that dad doesn't think I'm capable of handling a pack or even be your Beta. Am I that useless?"

"Oh Buck, it's not like that you know it." I hug him with a pat on his shoulder. "You are still a lot younger, and need to understand your responsobilities much better before you're named my Beta. Okay?"

He sniffles then nods, wiping his nose.

"How's things between you and lady mocambo?"

Not even wanting to do so, a growl leaves through Stephan, and my brows frown.

"Don't call our mate names." My voice doubles with Stephan's, and Bucky looks shocked.

"Cool down man. I totally respect my sister-in-law. Just asking."

"Things are good." I return to my normal tone and pull my backpack over my shoulder. "She's an amazing person. And I'm happy to be her mate."

"That's good to hear, bro. I'm happy for you."

"Yeah, but-" I drag slightly and Bucky looks at me with questioning eyes, "Things are like normal friends, not as in mates, it sometimes aches that she doesn't acknowledge me as her mate."

Bucky's face softens while he pats my arm. "It's totally fine, Stevie. It takes time to adjust to a new relationship, a bond on top, you should take the time to explore your feelings as well."

"I already like her, Buck." I confess the only thing that's been on my mind since our first date. "I like her and I see us together."

"Whew, that's new. Steven Grant Rogers pining over a girl. You never even used to look at girls before."

"They didn't matter because I always believed in mate-powers."

"Then believe it a little more."

I look at Bucky and smile. Understanding and feeling a lot better. A bro-talk always helps me.

~~~

It's our senior year and the school is filled with buzz and excitement, clubs, groups, parties, there's only loudness and cheers all around.

It feels great to walk amongst all this, only if no one's noticing me. Which never happens when you're the next in line Alpha.

"Hey Steve," Gosh how much I hate this voice. "Wait for me." Sharon comes running over and slings an arm with mine, stepping dangerously closer to me.

"Uhm it's hot today, Sharon." I try to excuse my arm from her grip but she just tightens it, and gets stuck to me. She's so clingy.

"Oh please, Steve, don't be like this. You know we're supposed to be mates, probably something happened and we'll get to know soon..."

She keeps blabbering on about how she thinks we're mates, still, it irks me how desperate and lousy she is. She is not only disrespecting herself but as well as other girls. It's pathetic.

I'm sure Rumlow in our class is her mate. I've seen their looks and behavior around each other, and I'm seeing Rumlow now, glaring at me. But I don't get why she's rejecting their bond, she won't ever get me. I can't even tell her that I have found my mate, and I don't want to sound rude or behave disrespectfully, so I let her mostly cling to me.

"You're disrespecting our mate though, by letting another girl get close to you."

Stephan speaks up and I have to stop my eyes from rolling.

"I can't be rude when I'm the next Alpha."

"You have to think about a way out, by not getting involved in all this."

My reply is left unfinished when Stephan adds something making my eyes go wide and heart to start beating faster.

"Leave it, she's here. She can handle this."

I frown before getting hit with the flowery aroma of my mate filling my nose buds. I whip around untill I find her standing by the front yard with another boy.

The way she's glaring at our linked arms, it makes me swallow hard. And a little bit tingly, is it effecting her?

"Of course it is, dumbass. She can't defy our bond." Stephan rolls his eyes and I make a face at him then refocus on my fuming mate.

I quickly untangle my arm from Sharon's, and put them in my pockets when I see Natasha and the other boy walking toward us.

"Enjoying the festivites way too much?" Is the first thing she asks, gritting her teeth while her piercing emerald eyes throw daggers at a careless looking Sharon.

"Hey, who's this?" I ask in hope of cooling her down. "Your friend?"

"Yes, a friend, but not like yours." She sweetly smiles, almost making me laugh because of how she's eyeing Sharon. Whose still looking puzzled.

"Excuse me, who are you? And why are you in our school?" Sharon asks.

"I heard there was a senior year festival going around, my friend Bruce here keeps tabs on these things. And I came just to meet Steve. But he's cleary busy."

What? She came for me? Aww! It's making my heart swell and I have to put my strength not to melt in front of her.

"I'm not. I'm totally free. Let's go." I quickly grab her hand and drag her away from there, away from a offended looking Sharon, but I couldn't care less because my mate is here.

And I'm holding her fucking hand.

"Yo, he's my mate! Don't just touch him."

Shit Sharon.

I see in a slow motion as Natasha turns on her heels, and like in a really slow motion, approaches Sharon. Then in a much fast forward speed, she grabs her cheeks, in a sec her eyes flash a bright blue as she murmurs into the blonde girl's ear.

"Don't you dare be ever seen around My mate." She pushes her backwards and Sharon stumbles, her head bowing as the Alpha aura has been somewhat activated by her wolf surfacing.

Even everyone around us seems to have felt the radiation as all are keeping their heads a bit obedient. She walks back to me and much to my giddiness, she takes my hand and interwines our fingers together.

"Shall we go somewhere else?"

"S-sure."

Bruce quietly follows us with a dark appearance as the three of us leave the school lot, and head across the road to a outdoor cafe.

My mate is one badass. Yipes!