Chapter 16

"Can I come please?" Yelena asks for literally the hundreth time that night.

My answer being the usual 'no.'

I use my sword to block the attacks Maria has been throwing on me, dodging each swing, and trying to attack her with my own.

"But whyy? Please, I wanna see your wolfie work!" She whines like the kid she is.

"No means no, you're just a pup. I can't risk taking you in there." I say while trying to keep Maria's sword down on the ground but she pulls it off and swings it over me by the other side, almost taking me off guard but I'm quick to jump over it.

"You're distracting me Yelena!" I say a bit louder and she starts pouting, at the verge of crying. Before I can say anything she runs out of the training room. I roll my eyes in frustration.

Taking the moment, Maria swings her sword back on me and slides mine off my hand, making me defenselss, and winning the fight.

"Yess!" She pumps her fist in the air.

"Don't get too happy, you won cause I've been distracted."

"Whatever." She sticks her tongue out.

Now Yelena is gonna complain to pops and he's gonna create a whole scenario where he's supporting her to go with me then he will sneak into my room to ask me not to take her.

He always does this to look good in front of her, making me the bad guy. Ugh gosh! Why does my sister have to be so curious and whiney?!

~~~

Wiping my sweaty face with a towel I head outside of the house in to the lawn, to watch over my plants when I hear pops calling me. Here begins the drama.

"Alianova,"

"Yes pops." I turn around and see Yelena clinging onto him with red puffy eyes, sniffling once in a while. Drama Queen.

"I order you to take this lil girl here on your mission tonight."

I see a glimpse of truth in his eyes, and frown. He can't possibly be serious this time, right? What if it's a trick once again.

"But-"

"No, please. Yelena needs to learn as well. She'll be the greatest support you will need in near future and she needs to be prepared. I want her to start training from tomorrow too. You be her mentor especially."

"Are you serious?"

"Of course I am. What do I look like to you?" He smiles warmly at my sister then kisses her on the head. "Ready baby girl?"

Yelena nods with the brightest smile possible then hugs him tightly. "Thanks pops!"

"Anything for you."

I only watch in disbelief.

"Let me train her for a few months first at least."

"You can't delay the mission for tonight. And Yelena has trained enough with you all these days, even though not professionally. But she's as ready as ever."

I am quite astonished at pops' behavior. He has always been way too over protective of us, then what happened so suddenly. How can he send this pup with me on a mission like handling rogues. Anyway if he believes Yelena is ready, who am I to complain?

"Alright."

Yelena jumps with a 'yess', and I have to smile lightly at her enthusiasm, although I'm quite worried.

By the time it's closer to midnight, I pack a small bag with necessities and step down the stairs to see my patrol team already standing there. They all bow to me and I nod politely in response. It all feels weird when they bow like this, all these grown up men.

Yelena joins me soon enough and pops just sends me a text saying good luck. I see Steve's text as well, as he advises me to be careful. I reply them both then look up at my team.

"Ready?"

They all nod and straightens up like a group of armies, I have to hide a small chuckle. While Yelena openly giggles, making them duck their heads in embarrassment.

"Alright. Let's head out now."

They follow my command and we all settle inside the cars. Starting for my first task ever. I just hope they are friendly rogues, capable of talking properly.

~~~

We arrive at the borders around half an hour past midnight. It's quiet around here. Ever since the rogues were spotted, people stopped coming here after evening. It is chilly and too quiet for my liking.

The team has been scattered all over, taking their spots and being as vigilante as possible while Yelena and I have built up a tent to keep an eye on any upcoming rogue. First watch duty is mine, Yelena is inside the tent, probably already asleep. I sigh in relief, that's for the better.

"Want some chips."

Damn it.

I shake my head.

"You thought I fell asleep, didn't ya?" She smirks munching on some poor potato chips.

I stick my tongue out at her then resume keeping an eye.

"What if they don't come tonight?"

"They have to. I can't miss this chance."

"I'm just saying."

"I dunno."

Half an hour passes by like this, and we grow tired. Yelena acutally falls asleep this time and I drag a folding chair out and relax on it, feeling my eyes droop. A text ping of my phone snaps me up and I fish it out of my pocket.

I smile seeing Steve's name on it.

'Don't fall asleep. You've gotta be on alert.'

'Yea yea. What are you doing? Not asleep yet?'

'Can't knowing my mate is on some dangerous mission.'

'Don't be so dramatic. It's nothing dangerous. No one's even popped out yet.'

'That's good.'

"Someone's here." Natalia's alarmed voice brings me to reality and I quickly sniff the air. It sure feels different, not of anyone from a pack. Must be a rogue.

'I'll talk later. Bye.'

I slam my phone back in my pocket then quickly stand up, connecting my ear piece.

"I smell someone."

"Yes, we do too, Ms. Romanoff." One of the team members, Parker, speaks up.

"Be on alert everyone, I'm crossing the border."

"Be careful."

"Thanks."

It's a brownish wolf, medium in size, probably a beta or a general wolf, it's sharp green eyes settle on me, and I hold my hands up to show I mean no harm.

As soon as the rogue sees me, it suddenly swipes its canines back in and makes a face of an innocent. Before I can even say anything, it starts shifting. I quickly turn my gaze away, not wanting to see a male naked when it's not my mate.

I hear grunting noises untill a thud then silence. I try to peek around but doesn't fully have the courage to.

"Shall we enter?" Parker asks through the comms.

"No. Wait." I say firmly.

When the silence is too much, and I don't hear anything else I suspect he left but then a voice so familiar, enough to crawl at my skin, calls out.

"Hey Alphie."

~~~

A/N:-

Hello everyone!!! Hope you all have been well, sorry for being soo late! Anyway I'll try to update often from now on... Thank you if you're still reading it!

Love you guys.🌹