Chapter 18

I watch from afar as all the wolves bow before Steve and how proud his parents look as they watch their son bowing back to his people.

It's a moment of pride for me as well.

My mate, my boy, is a man now. A responsible man. Someone everybody will rely on to. Probably someday I will have to rely on him as well, as mother had always wished for me. To rely, to depend on another man, another Alpha.

Although it should make me happy as a mate, as a counter-part, but I'm aching as an Alpha. It will always be a reminder of how I failed, how much of a pathetic Alpha I have been.

Wiping my nose and smiling through my tears, I walk away from the coronation ceremony, heading for the cabin I have called Steve to come to. I've got the best present he could ever have on such night.

I'm all prepared. Well, I have been prepared for this night for weeks now. I was just waiting for this perfect night to approach, then with my mission and everything, it kinda went south. But I won't spoil Steve's and our big day for a mere mission of disappoinment. I will make the best of tonight, for him.

After half an hour, I smell Steve's scent filling up the space while a soft creak of the front door rings through the air. I wait with my back in front of him, facing the window. I smile when he snakes his arms around my waist and hugs me from behind.

"I've missed you so damn much." He breathes out, placing small kisses along my jawline and ear.

His cold lips tingle over my skin, causing a rather living kind of feeling to surge through, making me hum in content.

I place my hands over his, leaning closer against his chest, relishing in the love and comfort I am provided.

"I've misses you too, love. Sorry for worrying you." I utter, slightly breathless from Steve's endeavors.

"Where's my gift? I am the Alpha now, I deserve a gift." He says like a little kid and I have to smile.

I know he is only trying to divert my mind from the awful things that's been crossing it ever since the mission, and it sure is working as I am mostly forgetful of the world when I'm with him, but tonight, it's becoming a bit difficult for me to pass the matter into oblivion and lose myself into my mate.

"I sure have something special for you." I announce, turning around and linking my hands behind his neck, earning an arched eyebrow from him. "I wanna give you the only thing that matters now." At least my voice doesn't waver while saying the words, looking directly into my mate's eyes.

He seems speechless, not quite understanding my words, but I feel the slightest of his grip tightening around my hips as he stares disbelievingly at me.

"What? D-do you mean- I-I mean-"

"Yes. Yes I'm ready. And I do not wish to delay this any longer but seal our bond and mark each other. It's been long due now."

I love how his face contorts from disbelief to in one of lust and love, he inches his mouth closer to mine, brushes our noses together, exhaling a small amount of warm air on my face on the process, I inhale shakily.

"Is that what you want then? To have me? To claim me?" He asks, tilting my head up by the chin. I breathe a 'yes' out, feeling my body buzz with the knowledge of my mate touching me so intimately. Like never before.

"Then I shall be rewarded." He states lastly before pressing our lips in a heated kiss.

His hands fly over my body, sneaking under my shirt and caressing over my stomach and back, scratching at the skin while my hands are buried in his blonde hair, messing them up and running my fingers all over them.

Our soft moans impregnate the air in the room as it gets too hot suddenly. His mouth moves from my lips down to my neck, latching on the skin with teeth and tongue. I can't keep the sounds that threaten to escape my mouth, holding the back of his head and shoving his face further into my neck, for sure there's gonna be marks tomorrow. But I can't care less for now. All I need is him. His body and soul, and heart, to relieve me from my darkest thoughts, to save me from my shame, to rescue me.

He grabs the hem of my shirt, ready to pull it over my head but suddenly stops. I breath heavily and wait for him to do something but he keeps panting against my skin untill all of a sudden hugging me tight. He buries his face in my neck and hugs me tighter than possible, and I hear soft sniffling afterwards. It shocks me,

"What happened? Are you okay?" I quickly ask, regaining my breath and rubbing over his back, it tears me apart when he cries or gets upset. I fear if I did something to upset him.

"Did I do something? What's wrong, Steve? Talk to me." I say a bit firmly, urging him to pull away and look at me.

He sniffs then pulls away, looking at me with red, puffy eyes.

"I can't do this tonight." He says, wiping his nose. "It pains me that you want to mate just because there's too much in your mind and you want our bond to keep you off of those. I don't like it, Nat.

Our mating should be something out of love. Something pure and something based on happiness, not some pathetic way to run away from the wrongs of our lives. I'm sorry, I can't do this." He exhales, I see more tears pouring out of his eyes, so does mine.

I hurt him. I hurt my mate, I disrespected our bond.

"Steve I-"

"Save it. At first you don't let me in, you shun out everyone and now you come to me and want to mate. I'm not a fool, Nat. It just pains me so much that you thought mating would drive your mind out of the misery, but now be happy knowing that you ruined my best night. I'll be leaving now. Let me know when you've run past your selfishness."

He releases my hands and looks at me one last time with longing and questions and sorrow in his beautiful blue eyes then leaves the cabin with a loud thud of the door. Leaving me to my miseries.

I ruined everything. I am such a loser.

~~~