Chapter 2 : Map To You

"Yes, this is the one," I said picking the brown-leather hardback book off it's shelf and turning the first page.

A map fell to my feet.

"Now this is where I've read about him. The grand territories of Southern Arcania, our neighbouring kingdom." I stated picking up the folded map and slipping it back into one of the book's pages.

"Sounds pretty frightening if you ask me." Emma remarked.

"Haha, I think so too. It was a kingdom ruled by a king with his twin sons."

"No queen?"

"No queen."

"I read their story a few years back; I reckon it was just after Charlotte had left.

One of the princes had disappeared. Everyone had thought he had ran away or died, but to this day, no one truly knows about the missing prince; no one had bothered to find out either."

"Why is that.. he was a prince after all wasn't he?"

"Apparently he was extremely rebellious and was accused many times to have betrayed his realm. This gave their kingdom a bad reputation in the 1870s " I explained, reading off the book.

"So your going to be marrying his brother... the one that's still alive?"

The way Emma worded things weren't always the most comforting. She also knew me very well but unfortunately was very slow at processing such complex information.

"No Emma. Of course not, I'd rather run away to a foreign land and just pass away."

"So... what are you going to do?"

"Not marry him that's for sure-"
just as I was turning around, my eye caught Charlotte standing near the opposite shelf; her arms crossed and brows raised staring right at me.

My eyes widened in shock. Had she heard me?

I quickly returned the book to its shelf after taking one of it's important contents then walked over to try and end the awkward atmosphere forming. She seemed as shocked as me.

"Hey Charlotte," I attempted to casually say. "What are doing here? It's almost time for dinner," she mentioned, "mother and father are at home waiting. We won't be having dinners like these anymore."

She tugged me by the arm towards the exit motioning to leave. I glanced back in search for Emma; she had already left after seeing Charlotte. Charlotte never really like Emma regarding she was just an ordinary village girl I met at the library. I guess, Emma probably suspected the dislike and kept her distance.

Charlotte looked fixedly at me whilst in the wagon that headed towards our castle. I stared out the tiny curtained window, pretending I hadn't realised.

"What was that book you were looking at back at the library?" She finally let out. "Uh.. well, it was on the history of Arcania." I responded, "I was curious since.. you know.. Hugo and I-"

I was going to carry on but my eye caught sight of charlottes startled face; it had turned pale at the mention of Hugo's name. I inquired, "are you alright?"
Charlotte turned her head to face the window on her side and replied with an unusual 'ok' of falsity.

We sat, on what were our usual seats three years ago, at the dinner table. I sat next to Charlotte opposite my mother and at the end of the table sat father.

However this time another member had another joined, Horace, Charlotte's husband. He was a decent and well mannered man, talked with respect and rationality, never demanding of her. His black hair always jelled back and you could almost see the comb strokes in it.

"As we all know, yesterday evening a grand event took place declaring my youngest daughter's marriage," father announced, clearing his throat with a mysterious grin on his face.

"I have received a letter; our beloved Lord Phoebe from the kingdom of Arcania has sent the dates of the marriage and have accepted to create an bountiful alliance.

Everyone at the dinner table cheered and applauded; my unenthusiastic claps hardly made a sound. I sat there meaninglessly listening to the conversations of my life being planned out for me.

This was it: the last straw. I needed a plan. I had a plan. I needed Tucker.