Chapter 6 : Asleep?

The familiar, cold and unwelcoming air of Arcania filled my nostrils.

Whilst being lead by mother and father to the castle gates I looked down at my mint gown: wrinkled it was. I always sat in a way that would end up making my clothes look like I hibernated wearing them.

I tried to hold my chin high like Charlotte did but my almost 'c' shaped posture wouldn't allow me to hold that position for very long.

We entered the castle and were welcomed by the scary faces of guards lined up like a set of dominos.

My eyes skimmed around the the large, silver castle halls as we pursued walking on the long carpet that continued into the castle and stopped at the one-step higher platform that held up two thrones in the centre of it. Both were accommodated by the king and his son.

The first person my eyes landed on was Hugo; his head was tilted downwards hiding his features. He wore a navy, velvet suit, blazer covered in silver badges.

The king stood up to greet us but Hugo remained sitting with both arms resting on on the armrests of his throne. Was he asleep? My parents and sister shook hands and greeted King Phoebe whilst I stood there with my gaze still glued to Hugo.

"Aaaand who do we have here?" the king rhetorically asked in an enthusiastic voice, "hmm, you might be princess Adelaide.." he playfully muttered knowing very well that he was indeed correct.

I knew that King Phoebe liked to be addressed as 'Lord Pho' due to my obsession with historical novels but this completely slipped out of my mind as the first thing I noticed about him was his shiny scalp; it hypnotised me.

"Yes, that's me sir." I awkwardly announced almost as if I believed him. How stupid? Did I really jus call him sir?

"I suppose it's been a awfully long journey and you all must be starving. Let me escort you all to the dining room we can begin our lunch!"

We all followed him. Mother and father were busy in a deep discussion about the interior setting of the castle and Charlotte joined in from time to time.

I tried to walk beside them but my gown kept getting caught under my stinging heels and so I was left behind. I took this chance to wander off into one of the hallways and try slip my heels off. Just as I turned around and began walking, I tripped upon a ripple in the carpet and fell on me knees with a loud thud.

An 'Ouchh!' escaped my mouth. A mysterious shadow of a figure towered over me from behind and I immediately knew who it was...