Chapter 42 : Him

Authors POV
For a second the world stopped spinning around Adelaide. The screams in the background becoming soft mumbles and the rest of the surroundings blurring into the horizon.

Only one thing could be seen from her eyes.

A brutal view.

"Eugene..." only a frail whisper was able to slip from her lips as she desperately called out for her husband. Time seemed to have stopped but at the same to time sped up around her as the rest contemplated on how to react.

The guards that were holding back Charlotte and Horace, were strictly warned not to respond with help if the prince had been injured, by Eugene himself and didn't dare disobey his orders.

"EUGENE!" Adelaide let out again, this time her voice came out as a throat-burning scream. She sprinted to the lifeless body of his that was consumed by its own blood.

"EUGENE! GET UP!" Adelaide beseeched, falling to her knees, "w-why can't you just ARGHH- Eugene STOP- just get up!" the urgency of the words rolled off her tongue as she shook his stark of life body, nails digging harshly into his figure.

The wounded soul still seemed to have the slightest of piece of life left in him, his eyelids closed halfway.

"EUGENE! Please GET UP!" Adelaides tone was nothing less than an excruciating cry, "GET UP! SAY SOMETHING! ORDER ME! Tell me to BEHAVE!
Just please, say something!" voice trailing off, hope slowly ran out.

Regardless of this state of his, Eugenes lips were pulled into a small smile like a ghost: dead but coming to haunt his loved ones for the very last time.

"WHAT ARE YOU ALL LOOKING?! COME AND HELP HIM!" her voice screeched in exasperation as she glared at the statued guards surrounding them.

-Time skip (few hours later)-

"Is he going to be alright?"

"Sorry princess Adelaide, there's nothing we can say until after the surgery. Until then, we can just hope..." the nurse disappeared back into Eugenes chamber.

The long wait for Eugene didn't cause boredom at all, instead it kept them all on their toes. Whilst Adelaide marched back and forth in the corridors in which the door to his room stood, the rest waited in the living room.

She sat on the cold, wooden floor boards, feeling as all energy and life was snatched away from her.

The noiseless air gave her time to ponder, ponder upon what she had read.

'Words I had read about her were convincing enough and so I had chosen. I fell for someone I had not even met. Princess Adelaide of Arcania...'

She weakly smiled to herself... slowly figuring something out; piecing the puzzle pieces together. Eugene wanted me to kill him. It was all his plan... he didn't think I would forgive him, did he... she sighed in dismay, still hoping for a miracle to occur.

Still hoping for the best results after this surgery of his, knowing that anything other than good feedback would shatter her. His death wasn't the apology I wanted...

Mind going back to the game they had played... or should it be called the road to death Eugene had drove on.

Either way, the full of hatred memories were replaced with tender ones, or at least, ones that made Adelaide smile to abnormally to herself in the moment as each passing second become harder to bear.

She looked right at the clock that decorated the end of the corridor, her eyes stayed glued to it knowing their were just 10 minutes left till the surgery was over. The time stated - 18:20.