Chapter 8 : Rabbit Hole

I limped out the castle and back into my wagon. Once again I held the diary in my hands, knowing it was completely wrongful to continue reading.

I couldn't restrain myself though; what had happened to Hugo that made him so cold? Was it something to do with his brother?

I aimed my arrow, eyeing the falcon. I pulled the string of my bow back before letting it slip from my fingers. The bird instantly flew away, dodging my shot. It wasn't long before a loud scream echoed through the trees which drew my towards the noise; my biggest fear being: I hurt someone. The arrow had hit a dears leg- it lay in a pool blood -a young girl crouching beside the body had eyes flooding with tears.
I found out she was Adelaide when her name was called by elder sister, which at that time I didn't know was her elder sister. I remember her just sitting there and sobbing as if the animal that had just died was someone close to her; I wanted to help in some way.

He wanted to help?! What happened to him now? This was not the impression I got from him today, someone sympathetic.

I spend the rest of the day digging up a small grave for the dead dear's body; I was able to finish burying it before the sky turned completely black.

Ok, now I was really caught off guard! Was it his mother's death that caused such a significant difference in him?

Maybe he was in a bad mood today. Maybe I didn't know him that well today. Maybe he had a softer side that I hadn't met yet...

Wait a second, why was I overthinking this so much? I wasn't supposed like him in any way. Or care. I just needed to find a way to cancel this marriage and my excuse for reading the diary was I genuinely liked to read.

Nothing personal at all.

"Princess Adelaide, your father wants you back in the castle." The guard stated popping his head through the window. I was startled by his absurd action.

Ugh! I wanted to read more; I just started.

I again I stepped out the wagon, the maroon carpet scratching the bottom of my bare feet. I returned back, only to find Hugo sitting back on the throne and not with the others; what an outsider.