Chapter 9 : Me Or Her

I took this as my second opportunity to make my confession, though even the thought of talking to him again was dreadful to me "Umm.. p-prince Hugo?"

My words came out in a stutter and my voice echoed across the large room. He did not answer, head still facing down to his shoes. I repeated myself a few more time.
"Prince Hugo...
Hugo...
HUGO!"

Still no answer. "Prince Hugo!" a guard that came in practically yelled, his voice piercing through my ears. Hugo looked up after rubbing his eyes. So he was asleep, just like when we came in.

"There's a pair of shoes near the entrance door; is there anywhere you would like me to put them?" The guard spoke after seeing Hugo was now awake. Huh?

One: I thought the guard was calling Hugo for me; two: those were my shoes!
Hugo rose from his seat and dismissively responded "throw them away."

"B-but those are my shoes!" I cried out but it was too late; the guard had already left. Hugo completely ignored my presence, though I had stood much closer to him than the guard had. I had enough. "I don't want to marry you!"

"Because I had your shoes thrown away?" He inquired raising his dark brows beneath his bangs and sitting back down.

"N-no!"

There was an awkward silence, a period where we just glared at each other waiting for one to talk. "I don't want to marry you, Hugo." I finally let out."
He continued to leer at me as if what I was saying was not relevant to him. I looked down trying to avoid eye contact.

"Ok?"

"I was wondering if you could.. you know... cancel this wedding.."

"Now... how would your parents feel if I told them what your telling me right now?"

A sense of happiness lit his face when he saw the terrified look my face had granted him when my face shot up. I hated him.

"No-no-no, don't do that please.. we can negotiate.. I-I'll do anything!"

He narrowed his eyes at me knowing very well that there was nothing I could do for him.

After that very moment our families walked right in. "Getting to know each other, I see" my father joked and King Phoebe chuckled. Everyone's face was decorated with smiles as though something else was going on in here.

I was literally standing 5 feet away from him. I don't know what they were thinking.

"Adelaide was exploring the rooms in the castle and got a bit lost and I had to help her out." He lied with a serious expression glancing at me whilst telling us his little story.

Exploring the castle? Yeah definitely something I would NOT do. How old did he think I was? 4?

Our families continued there discussion on the date of our marriage... IN TWO DAYS?!

Marriages in our kingdom were held as soon as possible as the couple had already been matched. But this was an exaggeration of our system.

I should have noticed the string to this quilt of a surprise when both mine and Acrania's castle lacked maids and servants. They must have all been busy preparing for the wedding whilst the bride herself had no idea.

King Phoebe reassuringly placed a hand on my shoulder, "you'll very soon be the princess of this kingdom too and one day... the Queen of Arcania."
My heart skipped a beat at that statement of my upcoming responsibilities.

On the ride home, my mind kept looping the scenes that occurred with Hugo. I had to hide my bare feet and my gown to hide that fact my shoes had gotten thrown away.

Why was he like this?

I opened his diary in hope to maybe find a weak point; there was no way I was giving up just yet.

After I finished burying the dear I went back in search for Eugene through the dark meadow where we had left our horses. I caught him gazing fondly at the person he had chosen to marry. Adelaides elder sister: Charlotte.

I felt my eyes creeping to Charlotte sitting beside me. This whole situation was so bizarre.

They were packing up from a picnic. I walked towards Eugene; a stick had snapped beneath my feet and so I stepped out to reveal myself so they wouldn't get scared. Charlotte ran in my direction, pulling off my hood and pinching my cheek. "And so we finally meet," she jumped up to hug me, clasping her arms around my shoulders, "I knew you could make it." I was confused but still put my hands around her petite waist to return the hug. Did she think I was Eugene? Had Eugene told her that he'd chosen her? "Are you not happy to see me Hugo?" she interrogated, which only added to my confusion. So she did  know I was Hugo?  I felt a hand pull my hood from behind which then dragged me back to my horse. Of course, it was Eugene; he had some explaining to do.

He told me everything, whilst we trotted home on our horses, leaving me more baffled than ever. Charlotte had apparently fallen in love with me through the historical books and articles of the royalty of Arcania. She wrote me a letter in hope I'd pick her on my 18th but Eugene had received the letter thinking it was for him. He had said that it took him only one look at a picture of Charlotte to fall on love with her and so he wrote back. After he found out it was to me, he continued to write to her but pretended it was from me. I couldn't believe it, I was furious!

I stared at the two pages in horror. Was this why Hugo didn't join us at lunch?
Did Charlotte end up finding out she was writing to Eugene and not Hugo?
Did Hugo like Charlotte?
Did he hate me because he wanted to marry Charlotte instead?
Was this why Charlotte never seemed happy in her marriage?
Did all of this have something to do with the disappearance of Eugene?

I shouldn't have gotten carried away with my theories because we were now back home at the castle and I wouldn't have time to read anymore due to the preparations for my wedding.

I just wanted to stop this wedding but ended up getting tied in something much more complicated .