Chapter 35 : Warning

After a long day of duties at his kingdom, Eugene, once again, returned to the same room like every other day that occurred in the past year.

The only place that felt like home anymore. His eyes grazed over the the limited surfaces of the room, stopping at a hand mirror lying stationary on the bedside table.

He held up the shattered glass, his blurry reflection returning to him as the mirror had fogged up of years worth of dust.

Inhaling the light scent, of a someone, that still lingered in this room, Eugene closed his eyes; He traveled far off into his imaginary world.

"...Sorry I was late today.." his head hung low in shame, "I-I did really miss you, p-promise."

Eugene dragged his feet to the cheap bed frame, plopping down onto the squeaking mattress. "So how was your day...? ...mhm... yeah?... really...!" he let out, deeply engulfed by the conversation he was having with himself.

"You know what happened today...? I was traded two farming plots with a kingdom Far East. Things have actually been quite good for us after the war..." a faint smile that had surfaced his face began to grow into a scowl.

"Hmph... Adelaide... I wanted to come see you... but father won't let me..." he complained, eyes still shut. "But I promise you... one day... we'll be together forever... goodnight Della."

With that he dozed off, body weakly slumping down onto the edge of the bed, oblivious to the fact that a certain guard had been observing this state of his from the slight crack of the door being open.

Adelaides POV
"CHARLIE~!" I wailed across the halls, only to hear my echo in return. I wasn't usually allowed outside my room due to prince Horace and his parents not knowing about my presence in their castle.

Charlotte made the decision to not spill any news to them until my parents were notified before so that they wouldn't have to listen to second hand news.

However, today was the day: prince Horace and his family were out at a royal meeting.

Charlotte had decided to stay home, making the excuse of being sick though I knew it was because she needn't have wanted me to stay alone at a castle that I was not familiar with.

Skating through the corridors at full speed, I felt like I was finally making use of my legs. I was exhilarated by the news that maybe I could see and even ride on Tucker today.

Carelessly screaming Charlottes name at the top of my lungs, knowing well she was probably out in the garden, it only just struck me that there were guards this castle and they probably heard me.

This too, I hadn't figured out myself; only realising when a rattle of metal armour rung through my ears.

Sprinting to the direction of my room, I didn't bother glancing back, knowing well that I had been caught.

Yet a familiar voice made me halt in my tracks, "princess Adelaide wait!"

"Arthur?"

I turned around to face the owner of this voice, breath hitching at the presence of this individual.

"Arthur!" I beamed as he took steps closer to close the long gap between us.

"Princess Adelaide~" he bowed down jokingly earning a hearty laugh from me. "I know I said we would see each other again but... don't you think this is a little abrupt."

He chuckled at my words, about to say something himself when I loaded him with a fresh batch of questions: "how did you get in? Did they not catch you? You know how dangerous this could be for your job! Just randomly coming to visit a princess... Wait... does anyone at your kingdom know I'm here?!"

By 'anyone', I knew I meant only a certain someone but I ignored that thought. "No, no, don't worry about the princess Adelaide, no one knows... and I'm not just here for a merry visit... I'm here to warn you."

His tone was serious, indicating a malicious warning. "Warn me? About what?"

He sighed, glancing away, "after your... well death in king Phoebe's eyes... he had sent some of his soldiers to hunt down your horse. Since the war was taking place, I'm sure you hadn't had time to take Tucker out the stables and so, our kings soldiers weren't able to find him." he explained, dully.

I bit down on my bottom lip, thinking hard. "But it isn't that big of a deal. King Phoebe soldiers aren't going to find him here... are they?"

"Unfortunately, yes. Ever since your kingdom decided to join hands and become ally's, Arcania has been keeping a close eye on Noxborne and Dwarvania and you already know how quickly news spreads through the kingdoms."

"Does that mean I can't leave the castle and see Tucker?" I worriedly questioned. "I'm sorry to say, that is the case... unless you want to return to Arcania..."

"Never!" I hadn't meant my volume to rise into a shout but it just slipped off my tongue automatically. I ducked my head in regret, sorrowfully as Arthur nodded understandingly.

"This was just a warning princess Adelaide, the choice is in your hands. I best be leaving now." He turned around, not before returning my goodbye wave.

I was about to scurry off just when, "and one more thing, i suppose you haven't yet already but... make sure you finish reading the diary of Hugo... who you think is your husband."

With that he marched of to the large window at the end of the corridor, climbing out of it. I giggled at the sight until my mind returned to his last words.

Just the mention of his name made me shiver; past memories were returning to me. What did Arthur mean by that though. Of course, I had ran away from my kingdom but, Hugo was still my husband as we hadn't had a divorce.

I returned to my room, an instantaneous shout coming through my balcony. I made my way out the glass door, onto the balcony, turning my gaze down to whoever was calling.

"Addy! SURPRISE!" Charlotte obliviously deadpanned.

The view shocked me to the bone. This indeed was a surprise, a good one? No. "Adelaide? Aren't you happy." she inquired me whilst I was stood still terrified and mused. "I literally bought Tucker here all the way from the stables. Come down so we can go horse riding together!"

Surprisingly, I was more astounded by the fact that she wanted to go horse riding rather than her bringing Tucker here. Though I was still petrified, remembering what Arthur had told me just minutes ago.

Someone must have seen Charlotte with Tucker! Or even worse, someone had heard Charlotte calling my name...