Chapter 16 : Locked

I finished unpacking the last of my things. Again, there were no wardrobes this room and so I had all my belongings displayed on top of my suitcases as though they were shelves.

It wasn't the most convenient way of things but the idea worked; now my room was organised and clutter-free.

A set of footsteps lingered outside my door; oh, how I wished they were Hugo's for a reason even I was uncertain of. The person outside finally mustered up the courage to ask: "hello? Is princess Adelaide in here?"

"Yes," I responding in an unbothered tone, "come in."

The handle turn and a guard stood behind the open door looking through his scroll. I could tell he was trying to keep a straight face but I could sense the sympathy radiating from him after seeing the state I was living in.

I was told a royal meeting was happening this afternoon regarding who'd claim our kingdoms throne sooner or later. I didn't feel bad one bit at the fact that plans were being made of what would happen after the kings death; I knew how cruel of a person he was. But why didn't i feel the same, strong hatred for Hugo.

Getting ready in my compact room wasn't the easiest. I was kneeling, doing my makeup off of my suitcase, looking into my hand mirror from time to time. My thoughts trailed of to wondering how we'd even get to this other kingdom in such a tempest.

I then realised I had another visitor as the handle to my room turned, this time without a knock or permission. It was Hugo. I wasn't sure why I felt slightly uplifted at his sudden arrival; maybe I was longing to finally curse back with all the disgust for him trapped inside me.

Maybe this strong unliking energised me?

"Ever heard of knocking?" I asked whilst my gaze was still suspended to the mirror; I carried on doing my makeup.

"Have you- have you gotten your forehead checked yet..." his tone sounded different.. softer: like he cared, "actually I just came to check if you were ready... can you just hurry up!"

Ok, never minds; I take that back. I didn't feel the need to reply to him as he entered further into the room closing the door behind him; he observed everything, looking around again as if it was his first time visiting.

I was guessing, he was still in astonishment by how unbothered I looked with my poor circumstances.

He uninvitedly sat on my bed behind me, his observations returning to me. I quickly glanced at him through my hand mirror, giving him no attention and making sure he knew his presence made no difference to me.

I thought he'd become bored and leave but stayed; the silence began to become uncomfortable urging me to break through, "leave my room!~" I mockingly repeated the words that once came out his mouth.

I watched his heavy eye roll through my mirror waiting for a response. "Well...?" I continued after a short silence.

"Well, what?"

"Get out."

I kept the tone he once had in his voice.

"You didn't listen to me when I asked you to hurry up and so I don't feel the need to listen to you either." He childishly snorted, crossing his arms.

"Well I'm finished now anyways. Let's leave."

He rose from my bed and headed towards the door as i gathered the items to put in my purse. I heard the twist of the metal handle pulling down and clicking; after this pattern was repeated several more times, I turned to see Hugo struggling to open the door.

I went over to help him, carrying a 'this is how you do it look on my face', but I myself, struggled. "It's jammed, stupid." He stated as if it wasn't obvious enough. "I could always break it-"

"No!" I stopped him as he got ready position his body to stride into the door, "this is my room! You can't just go ahead and break my door!" I yelled out as if in panic imagining my situation worsening with a doorless room.

Deep down I knew: I was more worried about Hugo's already-injured arm than having to live with no door.