Chapter 25 : Untied

Adelaides POV
Finally, I would get to see Hugo again; I excitedly dashed down the stairs, through the halls and into the garden.

Did he miss me as much as I missed him? Or was the only one that missed him? Did he want to tell me he loved me? Or did he hate me?

I thought I'd be embarrassed to come across Hugo after my confession but to my surprise, I couldn't help but leap towards him, beaming.

"Hugooo!"

I spotted him sitting inside the patio. A serious expression could be seen on his face as I got closer which completely contrasted with the way in which I called his name a second ago.

"Hugo?" I asked at his despondent persona. He patted the seat next to him, gesturing for me to sit down but stood up himself as soon as I was seated.

"Wait here. I'll be back."

I rested one leg on the other in my position, watching his figure retreat into the castle.

Authors POV
The prince had a clear suspicion of Adelaide being the intruder that stole the diary and photo from the cave but he still had to make sure of it before he would confront her.

He was now back in his own chamber, rummaging through his wife's suitcases. If she was the intruder then there was a great chance she would still have the belongings of the chest. Though doubts still filled him; this was wrong.

After a short search, he came across it; buried in a jungle of clothes. The one thing he never wanted to see again.

Never wanted to read again. The diary. After lifting it up out of the suitcase, he examined the pages, not long before noticing the one folded page she had last read. He opened up the book to that very page...

This plan was our fathers idea and I was completely against it at first but after I found it that the death of our mother was due to falling off the stairs whilst racing to accompany Eugene during the period of one of his severe seizures, I couldn't bare to reject fathers demand. Once Eugene was dead, I wouldn't even have to pretend to be him anymore; I could rule as Hugo. And so I did it.

A fierce adrenaline of confusion and guilt pumped venom through his body.

She knew... all along...

And she still loved me?

Did she really love me...

Or did she know... the truth?

This time instead of Adelaide being drowned in a sea of confusion, it was the prince. He needed an explanation but knew that he also give Adelaide an explanation just as much.

Without wasting another second, after returning the diary but to the suitcase, the prince was making his way to patio in which he had told Adelaide to wait in.