Chapter 21 : Bella?

"-Father! Why the hell can't you put your goddamn ego aside for once?!"

I sat in silence, fiddling with the hem of the lace on my dress, as the father and son argued. The royal family of Debtford had already left after king Phoebe agreed to their declaration in attempt to not come across as a coward.

"Our soldiers are not armed and trained yet and our numbers don't even come close to theirs! The Debtford soldiers have been training over years now and there are three times as many as we have! WE WILL ALL DIE BECAUSE OF THIS STUPID RIVER THAT WE WERE SUPPOSED TO GIVE AWAY ANYWAYS!"

I recoiled at his infuriated, harsh tone.

"We don't even need all our soldiers to fight; our generous kingdom ally's will surely provide us with the help we need." The king calmly stated before condescendingly smiling at me. "I believe we should never show our vulnerability to such a greedy kingdom."

He walked over from his standing position in-front of Hugo and sat beside me. "Don't you think princess Adelaide~" his voice dripping in honey.

"I-I guess so." I hesitantly shrugged.

Hugo heavily sighed before shooting me with a dissatisfied glare.

"I'm sure princess Adelaide would love to help by talking with with her resourceful family to provide soldiers... and maybe your sister too?" The king continued.

I resisted the compulsion to slap the king across the face, knowing how much power he had over me. Though, I was glad I had Hugo who disagreed with him as much as me.

I gulped down the clump of nervousness gathered in my through as glanced at Hugo to help me answer. He looked back wordlessly, also waiting for my reply. "Um..y-yes, of-course, I'll talk to them."

Hugo stormed off in anger as I ran after him. Not completely catching up to him as I wanted there to remain a distance because...

I had completely went against his point; I had let him down. Once he reached his chamber he slammed the door shut before I could enter; though I couldn't leave him alone in this state.

Not daring to make a sound, I steadily opened it and entered.

"I'm sorry." I squeaked, looking down; my eyes lacking the audacity to meet his own.

That was until I felt a sharp tug on my hair forcing me to do so; I was met with a venomous stare, projecting nothing but loath.

"What did you say?!"

"A-argh, H-Hugo that hurts!" I cried out; his fist grasping a handful of my hair.

"Say it again; louder!"

His grip tightened.

"I am so sorry!" I winced out as he slowly let go.

A small smile playing on his lips, he brushed off the outpouring tears and caressed my cheeks. "We won't get along if you aren't an obedient wife, Della"
I nodded, sniffing back my runny nose.

Internally I jumped excitedly at him calling me his wife and the repetition of that nickname again despite the pain he caused; I had deserved it nonetheless.

I catapulted myself onto him, into a hug; I didn't want him to hate me. He patted my shoulder reassuringly before leaning back and saying, "your still going to have to convince your family to give up their kingdoms soldiers..." I looked up, pouting in a frown, "...and the soldiers of your sisters kingdom..."

I knew I had already agreed to this with King Phoebe but the mention of my sister coming from Hugo caught me off guard.

Didn't he like her?

"Hugo..." I hesitated before asking, "have you ever fallen in love?"

The smile on his face still hadn't left as he answered after a few moments later walking off...

"No."

My heart sunk to my feet at his very, straightforward answer. I couldn't have expected it any different as of course I had been a terrible wife.

However the miserable moment came to a end pretty soon when I realised that this meant he didn't love Charlotte then either... nor whomever this Bella girl was. I restrained the urge to ask him about Bella again; I didn't want to anger him once again.

"I'm going to go check up on how the training of our soldiers is going; Debtford warriors are striking tomorrow night. Be a good wife and finish the job you were given."

He left the chamber, leaving me simpering from ear to ear and nodding compliantly; only word comprehended in my mind being 'wife'.