Chapter 27 : Kill Her

Authors POV

"EUGENE!"

"What?!"

"You were going to tell her that you're Eugene?!" The heat of fury radiated from King Phoebe as the words came out his mouth. "Yes, and so I was going to tell her." Prince Eugene bitterly muttered.

"Eugene?! What has gotten into you-"

"Father! You said we... were going to k-kill her anyways; she might as well be revealed to the fact that I'm not Hugo before she d-dies."

The deafening war horn went off, finally declaring it was now time. Eugene and the king both shared a look of worry as they hadn't expected the war to begin this soon.

"I'm off to check up on the soldiers but you won't be coming with me Eugene."

Eugene furrowed his brows at his father, waiting for him to continue. "We don't need that princess anymore... finish her off."

With that simple statement, he marched off. The prince was left in despair; he dragged himself across the fields and into the castle to retrieve his sword.

He slowly slid his sword out its sheath, the polished metal reflecting different sources of light. An image of Adelaide came to mind as his eyes traced over the razor-sharp blade.

The pushed his sword back into the scabbard, knowingly.

He couldn't do it. 

"Guards!" the prince yelled at the top of his lungs. Two had come marching into the room already.

"Find princess Adelaide and..." he hesitated for a moment, releasing a deep sigh, "Kill her."

He received a clacking nod from both heavily armoured guards before they marched out.

Adelaides POV
Maybe it wasn't such a good idea to run off like this. On one side: I had the dangers of war to face, on the other: my own husband and father in law wanted to kill me at some point.

I had decided my best option was to find Tucker and flee off to my sisters kingdom, at least there I would have a somewhat less chance dying. Yet my heart still ached, yearning to see his face again

"I don't love you Adelaide."

His words replayed in my mind as I entered the castle stables. At the very sight of Tucker, I ran to him bursting into tears as I buried my face in the far of his neck, sobbing into it.

Hugo doesn't love you... Adelaide the little voice in my head, chanted. Adelaide... If you really loved him... you wouldn't leave him like this... you would die for him-

"Aaarghh-STOP!" I yelled, rubbing my palms on my agonising temples.

What was wrong with me? Why could I only blame myself for everything?

"I just had a little flavour added to her daily meals - you wouldn't want your wife accidentally finding out that your a murderer!"

The answers to my questions came sprinting to me; I had been narcotised. Though I was still left in dismay. Did this mean I didn't really love Hugo?

I pulled away from Tuckers chocolaty fur as he neighed, a patch of it dampened from my tears. Hopping onto my horse and then swinging a leg over him, I security sat myself on the saddle.

We galloped out but were halted as two guards blocked our way. One of them spoke up robotically after clearing his throat, "princess Adelaide, you are requested to be taken to the event of your execution by the demands of our prince Hugo..."