Chapter 18 : Butterflies

My eyes grazed over my untouched food, poking it with my knife and fork.

King Phoebe was engaged in his own story which consisted basically of him complaining continuously about how his visit went, "...and so I tried to conflict them with how our royal family are and had been hereditary rulers over Arcania but they presumed that the influence we had over our kingdom was merely compelling due to your mother's and brother's death."

The king had asserted his last line so casually, it frightened me. As if the occurance of that event even disturbed him.

"Father!" Hugo yawped, slamming his fists on the table causing it to shake. His father seemed nonchalant even through the attitude his son was giving him and continued his little rant, "but of course, if you two could make it, the greedy kingdom of Debtford may had even understood. As for now, our kingdom performing charity work and keeping a good record; I'll let my guard down and hopefully I can trust the two of you with that."

I nodded in response pretending there was food in my mouth.

Cogitating on how I watched the state of affairs at the dining table commence and concluded, my mind was colonised with a thought that it had been lingered with this morning.

I was beginning to see a side of him I liked and maybe, just maybe, that side liked me too. That was until he continued to disguise himself as the monster whom he'd always portrayed himself to others as. I knew that wasn't him.

The harmonious face of his, resting on my lap as a tranquil environment surrounded us- that image came back to my mind. No intimidating anger in his eyes; he looked like he couldn't even hurt a fly.

I wanted to see him. Badly. Interrogate. Make him answer every little question I had, truthfully. Although, patently I would never have the courage to enhance my curiosity.

Even then, I was in no place to ask about his dead mother, brother and possibly his bothers affair with my sister. My eyes took a quick look at the suitcase in which Hugo's diary was contented.

No.

I still didn't have the endurance to carry on reading.After the eventful day my body snoozed off; the last thing that passed my sight was dark figured crowding my rooms but I was already in slumber.

Wait?

Dark figures in my room; I really thought the lock on my door being broken wouldn't be much of a problem but here I was.

I woke up in my room which was now contentless: all my suitcases visibly vanished. Only object of mine left was my hand mirror which lay next to me on my bed side table. Clara entered with a cheerful smile as I sat up and rubbed my morning eyes that had newly been struck with daylight.

"Good morning princess Adelaide," she chanted, "would you like breakfast to be delivered to your room?"

"Umm- sure but... do you perhaps know who came into my room last night and where all my suitcases have gone."

"Prince Hugo requested them to be taken to in his chamber until you have your door fixed. I think you'll be staying there for the time being."

My eyes widened in disbelief. I know I had suspected him to be somewhat nice and hiding behind this mean, shatter-proof character but who knew my theory would be true.

At least this explains what I saw last night; it must have been the guards... or Hugo.

An important thought suddenly paved its way through my mind: Hugo's diary! I sprinted out the room, across the corridor and into Hugo's room. The suitcases indeed were bought here;

I expeditiously began rummaging through the suitcases in Hugo's absence. I found it safe and sound: untouched in one of them, exactly where I had left it. Before re-zipping the suitcase, I tucked and wrapped the diary inside a corset.

A click of a door opening rung through my ears; I turned around only to find the chamber door still closed.

"You're here already?" a voice from behind me spoke. I turned around to find Hugo had entered the room from another door located beside his built in closet which kept it out of sight.

"W-where.. from- did you.. I-" I stuttered, expecting a long scolding to get out his room.

"Shower." He simply stated. Running his hands through his damp hair as he reached out to his dresser for a comb.

I had never seen him in such a informal attire: a towel hung around his neck over his plain grey T which matched his trousers.

"Huh?"

He rolled his eyes at my obliviousness but I was only nervous for the questions I was about to get asked. "What are you doing here, Adelaide?"

There they were.

"I..um.. came to say hi... Hi."

I mentally slapped my self for acting this way as I casually leaned down and rested my elbows on the suitcase I had just shut; chin laying securely on my palms.

Hugo squinted his eyes disapprovingly at my unnatural position, shaking his head. "Hope your not unpacking because your not staying here for long."

I watched in disbelief as he nonchalantly combed his hair, looking into the mirror as water droplets sprung out at every harsh brush.

Why was he taking his irrational anger out on combing his hair?

I stood up with intentions to leave when a great amount of water droplets spat across my face. "What the actual hell?" I whined, shutting my eyes at the impact. Hugo turned around bewildered until his eyes landed on the wet beads tatted across my countenance.

"Uh-...oops."

He returned to his task as if nothing had happened.

"Oops? That's all your going to say?"

He shrugged. I stomped off, not out of the room but into Hugos en-suite bathroom. After rinsing my hands in the sinking and making sure they were fully drenched; I approached him with a large grin before shaking my hands in-front of his face.

The water splattered everywhere as he childishly fanned his arms avoiding any more droplets coming his way.

"What the hell?!"

"Oops~" I mocked before running away in the direction of the door, "you don't like the bitter taste of your own medicine do you?~" I chanted proudly leaning against the opened door, frame.

"you don't like the bitter taste of your own medicine do you?~" he imitated in a high-pitched voice that sounded absolutely nothing like my own before marching towards me, tripping on a suitcase.

My lips pressed into a thin line before giving up to a hysterical laugh. I cackled louder, clenching my stomach, when my face caught the the sight of a dumbfounded Hugo peering up from the kneeling position he had fallen in.

"It's not funny." He pouted, raising his brows before his bizarre was expression was followed by a hearty laugh as well. I hadn't expected this situation to become so lighthearted and I definitely hadn't expected Hugo to laugh with me; it felt almost unnatural as I hardly witnessed him ever genuinely smiling. "A-and..haha.. you thought i loved floor huh?!"

We giggled in unison at the insulting inside-joke we shared, endlessly for at least five minutes before he got to his feet remembering he'd just been embarrassed.

"I'm not letting you off that easily." He recited, a smirk enlightening his face as he strode towards me.

Slamming the door shut behind me, I fled his room and wizzed through the corridor at his threat. A weird tingling sensation filled my stomach as my cheeks burned a crimson colour. I took in this complexion of me through my hand mirror after reaching my own room.

Why am I blushing?