Chapter 36 : Nee-naw!

Head clouded with thoughts, my feet were pulled outside with a great force called worry. She swung her leg around, jumping off Tucker.

"Addy, look I-"

"Charlotte!" I scolded, marching in her direction.

"I'm taking him back." I stated bitterly, grabbing hold of Tuckers lead rope and leading him away.

Not waiting for a response, i straddled on, pulling on the ropes and signalling for Tucker to increase his pace as he trod on.

I heard Charlottes voice in the distance become dimmer and dimmer behind me but I proceeded my journey. The explanation she wanted could wait.

The journey to and from the stables was awfully uneventful. I was successful able to return Tucker their safely.

A bit too safely.

So safely that it scared me. Things couldn't have been this easy for me; they never were. There was always a catch.

"Care to explain?"

Charlotte disapprovingly lifted a brow, her arms folded above her chest. Unable to form an elucidation that didn't involve my husband, I let a lie slip my tongue.

"I don't like horse riding anymore." I stated uninterested and that was the end of that conversation.

Time skip (few days later)

Authors POV
"Your highness," the one guard that had stepped forward knelt down. A slight glint of shame seemed to enrol him.

"I have come to enlighten you on such news about the horse of-"

King Phoebe lifted up his open hand, halting the guard in his speech. "I'm sure this is important news but..." a small grin preyed upon the kings face, "there's someone else who'd be much more interested in this topic."

Unconcerned with what the guard had to say, the king called for Eugene, who took his sweet time coming down and meeting his fathers orders.

King Phoebe left the room, excusing him self for having 'more important affairs to handle' as Eugene seated himself down on his throne. "Prince Eugene, we have made a discovery that may put our commander knight to shame..."

The prince scrunched his brows but continued to listen, now more attentively.

"We have found the missing horse of princess Adelaide but along with that we have another finding..."

"And that is...?" Eugene inquired, his voice moving vowels darker. "Your wife, Princess Adelaide. She was alive healthy when our guard spotted her in kingdom of Noxborne."

By this time, another individual had joined the small gathering in the room: Arthur, commander knight. Every word of the conversation completely audible to him yet his presence went unnoticed.

The mental mess in Eugenes head multiplied at those last words, Your wife, Princess Adelaide. She was alive and healthy when our guard spotted her in kingdom of Noxborme.

Trying to not get ahead of himself and keep composed, Eugene finally let out, "Bring me knight Arthur." sternly.

Arthur took steps forward through the group of guards and knights surrounding the prince, "I'm already here." He stated, not able to look the prince in the eye; he was engulfed by the ground.

"Arthur, did you actually kill Adelaide or not?" his voice spoke, dangerously calm though the loud thoughts in his head echoed through the room.

"Your highness," Arthur began, after much hesitation, "N-no. I couldn't bring myself to kill her..."

Adelaide's POV
My room was a mess: my closet had been poured out as well as my shelves and draws. Still, there was no sign of Hugo's diary or that backpack I came here with.

The last few days I had spent just searching, whenever I had time, for my husbands diary. It didn't bother me anymore.

His name.

The memories. I felt completely over them and so I knew, now I'd finally have the courage to finish the book to the very last page.

The idea popped into my head, of course Charlotte wouldn't want me to read and remember everything and so probably hid it from me.

I understood her completely but this would be my next step to complete closure.

I remembered when Charlotte had warned me not to ever enter her room, I didn't pay much mind to the demand but now it finally occurred to me. The diary was in her own room thus not allowing me to enter.

Without wasting a second, I made my way to her shared Chamber with Horace. I stepped inside when I could see the coast was clear and started rummaging through her draws.

As expected both the diary were visible inside the bottom one in her vanity. I grabbed the book trying to make my way out the room when someone else beat me to it.

Out of reflex, my body plunged itself onto the king sized chamber bed, pulling a the duvet sheets above my head and veiling myself as I tightly clutched onto the diary.

Faint footsteps entered the room, "Charlotte, your still asleep love?" I heard a man's voice ask nonchalantly and assumed it was Horace.

I nodded my head rapidly under the sheets, only then just realising how stupid of me that was.

A chuckle resurfaced the silent air as I felt the bed dip beside me.

"Pretending to be asleep are we?" He once again chuckled as I felt a hand, above the covers, being placed over my shoulder. "Our soldiers are finally on break again but I've sent some of them out again like you said." he huffed as the atmosphere suddenly became serious. "I honestly still want to know why you want prince Eugene of Arcania dead. Yes, I get he may be pretending to be his own brother but... you still haven't gave me the full explanation."

The dip in the mattress, that was created by Horace sitting down, became slightly larger as he laid himself next to me.

I turned my body away, signalling for him to get lost but it only seemed like a ticket for him to pull me closer.

"Sorry, I won't ask again until you tell me yourself and I guarantee our soldiers will have Eugene dead by the end of this week." He spoke snuggling into the blanket on my side.

My mind was racing with a lot of thoughts but I first had to get out of here.

"Nee-naw! nee-naw! Nee-naw!" I screamed, getting up with the white duvet still over my head and so I looked like a wild ghost.

Stumbling over on my way to the door, i got back up. I ran out into the corridor, now gripping onto both the diary and the heavy blanket.

Fortunately, I stumbled upon Charlotte. "What in the world are you doing Addy?!" she whisper-yelled.

"Uhh- no time to explain," I shoved a corner of the duvet into her grasp, "just put this over your head and go play a game of tag with your husband."

I ran off; Charlotte had probably seen the diary in my arms but had no choice but to mindlessly obey the order I gave her.