Chapter 40 : "Then lets play."

A firm grip was latched around my gown sleeve as I was tugged forward. Forward and, away from the endlessly bleeding king in the throne room and out into the castle gardens.

"E-Eugene..." I squeaked through the fountain of tears that continued to prickle down and stain my cheeks.

He stopped his drag and slowly unfastened his hold around my wrist, turning around to face me at last.

Our eyes finally met and that's when I saw it, a face that screamed forgiveness. A face that I knew did everything wrong unwillingly. His eyes were dark and sombre as they looked right into mine.

"Eugene..." I finally let out again, wishing the selflessness I could see in him right now would last forever.

But I should've known, nothing goes as expected in this world.

Especially in my world.

His features morphed into a patronising smirk, "you finally got my name right, huh?" The rasps of his voice coiled out.

Lowering my head in slight shame, I could smell the anger boiling in his tone and sensed the worse to come.

Instantaneously, his hand jerked into his blazer, yanking out his sword from its scabbard. The tip of it's shiny blade came in contact with my chin, lifting it to face him once again.

My breath hitched when he spoke again, "look at me... I still want you dead."

I sniffed back insecurities seething through my body; I wasn't the same woman who's emotions could once be toyed with. "If you wanted my dead, then you would not have saved me from your father and killed him in my place."

He looked amused at the sudden confident spark in my voice.

"Don't put yourself in misunderstandings... Della. It would be no fun If I killed you without playing around a bit."

The nickname once again rolling off his tongue just so perfectly like it had once before, sent me back to feeling nostalgic sensations.

"I-I'm not playing a-any of your stupid games! Just kill me if that's what you want" I declared in a frenzy, knowing that my confidence would soon be overpowered by a tsunami of panic.

"Again... that would be no fun."

As smile played on his lips, he took steps back. Our continuous decrease in proximity only made more room for me to dread over the situation.

A neigh cracked its way through the glass of the atmosphere: a sound I could recognise from miles away.

Tucker!

However, he sounded at pain.

I looked in the direction Eugene was stepping back to, he was nearing Tucker who was tied up in heavy metal chains.

To my relief, no scar covered the fur coat of the horse though the sight still terrified me as I took in Eugene, angling his sword to strike at Tucker.

"NO!" my arms reached out in a signal for him to stop.

"No?" Eugene questioned, once again looking amused as he stopped midway in his action.

"D-don't hurt him!" I desperately begged.

"Well then you'll have to play a little game with me..."
"I'll do anything." my voice cracked defeatedly. He lifted two fingers, gesturing for me to come closer which I did, stopping a few feet apart.

His mouth parted to let out another patronising sentence...

"Then let's play."