Chapter 39 : Scarred

I felt the side of my face pressed against a cold, sandy mattress. Fighting through dizziness in my head, I pushed myself up, with the help of my palms, into a sitting position.

Despite the immense pain my head, I tried to remember the last thing that happened before I completely collapsed.

Was it all just a dream?

I stood up to observe my location. Everything so familiar yet so foreign. One year. I hadn't seen this room in a year.

Yet it looked at me in the same pitying way it did before but the once homely feeling it gave was switched with a unused one - looking like a museum more than a chamber.

I came to the conclusion that it was not a dream at all, considering where I was. My husbands chamber; Eugene's chamber.

The spin that preoccupied my head was calmed with a pleasing aromatic smell of fresh bakery. A tray of a freshly cooked and baked meal sat on the bedside table beside me.

I was twined between conflicting thoughts, feeling: at unease, scared yet awfully... relieved?

Maybe the comfiness of this chamber or the fact that a certain feeling hidden feeling within me was returning. I tried to make sense of this in my head...

They had probably saw Tucker or me in Noxborne. They reported back to Eugene. Eugene came to take me back and had lunch made for me?

It still didn't make sense.

Didn't he want me dead just a year ago...
when I loved him?
But didn't I love Hugo...?
I let my thoughts consume me...
who did I even love?
Hugo or Eugene?
Indeed the one I was married to...
but I didn't know his true identity back then or the crimes he had committed...
but I did...
and I forgave him?

I was fully aware that I had been drugged but even when I wasn't, the same attraction pulled me towards him.

My thoughts were still filled with him. The same Eugene I had been married to.

His mistakes weren't completely unforgivable now... everything felt different. Almost as if he could make it up to me in some way.

Perhaps in some change. However, I knew one person who's mistakes weren't forgivable at all. King Phoebe. My legs submitted to striding off on their own to where the king would me, mind however, not too sure of what I was about to do.

All I knew was, I owed this damn king a piece of my mind. I found myself, frantically sprinting down the main stairs and then right in front of the king himself.

He sat bored on his throne as if no problem was his in this world, until I took steps nearer. As soon as he caught a glimpse of me, a shocked and surprised expression washed up on his face completely triggering my inability to keep calm right now.

"What?! I'm sorry! I completely forgot I was supposed to dead!" I practically screamed, making sure the words got to him clearly.

With anger and rage filling me to the brim, I may have absolutely forgotten that king Phoebe still held more strength and power than I did, especially in his own kingdom.

He approached me with a vulgar expression, as I waited for the unknown in anticipation. "You filthy little-" his arm sprung up into the position of clouting my face when it was stopped midway with a vein-throbbing hand.

An aural crack emitted from bones as Eugene twisted his fathers arm in the opposite direction.

King Phoebes raging manner swapped with a pained one. "I want you to remember this moment clearly..." Eugene began, focusing entirely on the king, "... because it's the moment that I no longer consider you my father."

A knife was stabbed into the kings stomach right after that very statement. I stared; horrified at the whole situation.

After the first jab of the knife, Eugene continued his sequence until the king fell helpless against the floor, his blooding matching the maroon carpeting. A rattle escaped the dangerous air as the blood covered knife fell next to his head.