Prologue

Sakura Haruno had a good life. She had a good family, good home, and good friends. She wasn't anything special. She wasn't revered and praised like Sasuke Uchiha or detested and looked down upon like Naruto Uzumaki. She was just painfully average. 

But Sakura liked to think that she was special too. Her parents told her so. Who was she not to listen?

Plus, she had a really cool grandpa. He was cooler than anyone else's grandpa, so that had to count for something.

She didn't know much about him, but there were a few things she knew were facts.

Her grandpa had bright pink hair just like hers. He said she got it from his side of the family. Sakura wanted to grow it long so she could braid it to look just like her grandpa.

Her grandpa reads her really thick books. Her parents always tell him that she doesn't understand the words, but she does. Every single one. Her favorite story was one that talked about the best ways people fight in battle. It was her grandpa's favorite too.

Her grandpa was a shinobi. One of the best. He told her himself. But he told her not to tell anyone. That's why Ino could never come over when they were still friends. Her grandpa didn't really like people.

Her grandpa looked way younger than he actually was. Sakura knew he was pretty old, at least older than her parents, and yet he always looked like he was in his 40s.

Her grandpa went on very special missions. Some were delivers, other times he would fight people. He always came home without a scratch.

But one day, he went on a mission, and he never came back. He was pronounced missing in action, and shortly after dead. Sakura was sad. She liked her grandpa.

A week later, tiny whispers invaded her mind. They said they knew her grandpa. They said they were sent by him to keep her safe. They said that her grandpa wasn't dead, and he was living with a friend. They said that one day, when she was strong enough, she could see him again. They warned her that sometimes they could be mean and loud, but they never meant to hurt her. They said she could never tell anyone about them.

Sakura trusted them. Why wouldn't she? They knew her grandpa. Her grandpa sent them. She trusted her grandpa.