Chapter 1

Sakura, wake up!

Up, up, up! Time to go!

You have team assignments today! Remember?

"Okay, okay, I'm awake..." Sakura murmured to herself, rising up slowly and rubbing her eyes.

Oh Sakura, where would you be without us?

We did this for your grandpa too! He was way harder to wake up!

Are we basically just sentient alarm clocks?

Sakura smiled to herself, listening to the light banter in her head as she went to get ready for the day. She first started hearing these voices when she was 6. Now, she was 12 and getting ready for her first day as a shinobi. 

She went through her usual morning routine of getting dressed and brushing her teeth and hair. When she was about to leave her bedroom, she was stopped by unanimous cries of "Your headband! Don't forget your headband!"

Of course. Sakura was so silly; how could she forget that? She quickly grabbed her Konoha headband and used it to tie her bangs back. Afterwards, she went downstairs, where her mother was cooking breakfast and her father was reading a newspaper. A splitting image of the ideal family if you asked Sakura.

"Good morning, Sakura." Her mother greeted, handing her a plate of eggs and toast. "How's your head today?"

"Fine, thanks Mama." Sakura responded, taking the plate to the table to eat. Her parents were not aware of the voiced she harbored in her mind; they just assumed she suffered from occasional migraines.

After Sakura finished her breakfast, she quickly dropped off her dishes in the sink, kissed her mom and dad goodbye, made sure she had everything, and went on her way to the Academy, all the while listening to the light banter and chatter in her head.