Heart to Shine

A/N: As usual, I would recommend putting the video on loop.

Only could he imagine how her hands felt against his. Even though they had held hands before or comforted the other with simple gestures, he only had felt that comfort because of the action itself, not the feeling of it. Lee had a feeling that her hands would feel soft and warm as though they were a small blanket, easing his mind of the troubles of his past. Despite not being able to feel that actually, he appreciated the gesture and understood its meaning. So far, she was taking the information well.

"To be locked up that long ..." She sighed and kept her hand over his. "Based on what you've told me and some of your actions, I'm surprised that you didn't react more violently to when Anita and I tore down that wall." Her brows furrowed, and her hand tightened over his, but he had a feeling the action was more to soothe her mind that time. "To be by yourself and with such thoughts for so long, I ..."

Cutting her off with a note, he watched her pause in her words. I didn't want to ruin the chance I got at having at least some entertainment at the time. I wanted to play my cards carefully. That did line up with how he treated her in the beginning before he had found out about Anita and decided to help her. Frankly, his aid was saving her future, and he was proving to be more loyal and caring than Anita ever had been. Not to mention honest. Despite what he had been like in the past and his past motivations, he had kept to his word and was there for her. No doubt her emotions remained in conflict, and his next words didn't help that.

But before I move on, I'm curious about something. That made her curious as well, but she took the opportunity to eat another bite of stew after she motioned for him to write another note. It didn't take long. My age. Does it bother you?

Swallowing, she hesitated. Did it? He looked like he was in his twenties, but he could be her grandfather or great grandfather for that matter. "In what sense?" she finally managed and hoped that would give her some more time to think on it. When she received no note, though, she sighed roughly. "In the sense of you helping me, no. And if we were to become friends, no." Her eyes glanced to his, and she had a feeling that he could see right through her.

And, should there be more than that?

Setting down the spoon, she stared at the food for a moment before she averted her optics back to him. "More than what?" (F/n) knew what he meant, but she didn't want to say anything unless he did. She wished to stall.

I ... She saw what he was beginning to write, but he stopped. Usually, he was confident in his responses. Was her hesitation actually getting to him? And, she was right on that. He wanted to know should his feelings advance anymore, and he had a feeling that they would, but he didn't want to hear her reject him either. From her answers, it sounded like she might, and he didn't know if his heart could take that. Lee only broke out of his thoughts when the sound of breaking hit his ears.

Glancing down, he noticed the pen had a crack in it. For a moment, they both just stared before he heard her roughly sigh. Maybe, it was cruel that she wasn't giving him a decent response, and he obviously wasn't taking her silence well. (F/n) combed her fingers through her hair. If she kept up her behavior, she might create a wedge between them, and they might not be able to get back to the point where they were at now. No more comforting gestures, except for awkward ones. They might be able to overcome that, but a part of her also didn't want to risk that.