Slip to Uncover

A/N: As usual, I would recommend putting the video on loop.

Reading that part of his note, (f/n) couldn't help but frown. It reminded her somewhat of what Anita was doing to her. Anita had supported her dream of opening a café together only to destroy that very dream. Thankfully, Anita wasn't trying to kill her, and Anita was lucky that she had told Lee not to kill her. There remained the possibility of Anita committing a more serious act if Kaleb and she didn't succeed with their plan with Tristan, but she hoped that wouldn't happen. That reminded her that she needed to continue looking through Kaleb and Tristan's social media.

Right now, though, she could wait on that. Lee was helping her, and she felt that she should return the favor and help him by listening. Not to mention that she had been the one to ask the question about his ex partner going after his wealth. So, she continued to rest her chin on his shoulder and read his next note.

I had been driving out of town at the time for a small business vacation. I wanted to get out and see some of the new trends in women's fashion directly, not just through a magazine. I didn't make it far. He shifted a bit on the seat, and she pulled away somewhat so that he could get more comfortable. When he leaned back against her, though, she stayed close to him and let him hold her hands in his. Another driver ran a red light. I didn't see them coming. They hit the passenger's side, but the impact was hard enough to where my vehicle spun and slammed into a tree.

Even in his plastic form, he tensed from memory of the crash. For a split second, it was like he could recall the exact pain he felt. It had been horrendous, but his victims probably had been laughing. Good for them. He found someone who wouldn't betray him. That was more than any of them had. (F/n) noticed him tense, and she held his hands now. "But, you recovered," she spoke softly as if to reassure him that the crash had happened a long time ago. Her voice did break him out of his thoughts, and he figured that if he had her by his side back then he would've made a swifter recovery. In fact, things would be so much more different and in a good way.

... I did. He sighed, and she couldn't hear it, but she felt his body relax. I had cuts from the broken windshields and a few broken ribs. Several bones were badly bruised. One of the tree branches that had broken off in the process had fell through the broken front windshield and impaled me through the abdomen. If the branch hadn't missed my organs and an ambulance hadn't been driving past at the time, I would've died.

"But, you must've lost a lot of blood," she commented, her brows furrowed.

The hospital was close, and I managed to give them the business's phone number while I was fading in and out. Lee glanced to his hands as though they still had blood running through them. Jared got there quickly. He happened to be the same blood type, and they gave me a transfusion along with my other treatments. At the next memory, he clenched his hands a bit, and (f/n) released her grip slightly. If he did still have blood, it'd be boiling. During that, he slipped up from panic.

Hearing about the blood type, she had a feeling of where this was going, but she didn't say anything. She only read the next note for the time being. When I woke up, he wasn't there. A nurse was. I was weak and barely could talk from exhaustion, but she managed to understand me. I asked her what had happened. If Jared was in the hospital.