An Impostor?

(TW: Slight Gore)

(Meme PoV)

I woke up at the sound of the alarm I had set for myself on my watch. I yawned, and switched it off. Sitting up, I noticed that the room was empty. Figures. Guess I must have snoozed my alarm subconsciously. I quickly grabbed the watch and got out of bed, snapping it onto my wrist as I walked out the door.

On my way to MedBay (just to check on things, Y'know?), I ran into Dino, who was looking around worriedly.

"What's wrong, Dino?" I questioned.

The reptilian hybrid lashed his tail back and forth. "Have you seen Muffin lately?"

"I just woke up, so no," I shrugged, "Maybe ask Nadwe?"

"I just did. He hasn't seen him, either," Dino replied.

"Hm," I said, "I'll search this side of the ship for you before I start my tasks."

"Thanks," Dino sighed, and he turned around to do whatever he had to do.

I also turned and headed in the direction of the reactor.

I walked into the upper engine, and looked around in there. Nothing found. I continued and searched the reactor room. After searching, I completed a task I simply dubbed "Simon Says," since it's just repeating button patterns. Then, I walked out and did a connecting wires task outside of Security.

I decided to check and see if Muffin was on the cameras anywhere. He probably would have been found by now if he was, but it was worth a try.

I sat down in the chair and switched on the screen, where it showed four different areas - the corner outside of Navigation, the outside hall of MedBay, the area directly outside the Security doors, and the hall outside of Admin. Tbh was talking with Blaza near Navigation, and Laff was walking right outside of the Security door, but Muffin was absent from view.

I started to walk away when something caught my eye.

In the corner, near the vent that connected MedBay, Security, and Electrical, a smudge of dark red blood was visible on its silver metal surface.

Dread immediately filled my head as every scenario played through my mind. Why was there blood? Is someone injured? Is Muffin injured? If not Muffin, who?

Nothing could prepare me for the sight before me as I slowly opened the vent.

There, lying in the vent, was the dead body of none other than Muffin. His eyes were open and glazed over, still wide with his final moments of terror. His head was turned clean to the side, and part of his spinal bone punctured his skin. A puddle of blood was pooled by the fatal wound, probably why there was some on the outside.

Which meant he was dragged in here. Hidden from view intentionally.

This was no "slip and fall." Oh, no.

This was murder.

Slightly dazed and in shock, I quickly fumbled with my watch until I found the "Emergency Meeting" button. I clicked it, and a single siren went over the intercoms, followed by an AI voice, void of all emotion and feeling.

"EMERGENCY MEETING. ALL CREW MEMBERS REPORT TO SECURITY."

————————

(3rd PoV)

All on the ship heard the announcement, and began to make their way towards Security. Dino knew this was about Muffin, and dreaded the worst. Nadwe, who had also been searching for Muffin, did as well. The others were simply curious as to what was going on.

Laff was the first to arrive (no surprise there. He was right outside anyways), followed by Tbh, Blaza, Dino, Joocie, Nadwe, and Woolfster. Socks arrived last, with a surprising lack of urgency. As if he didn't care about this unannounced (and most likely important) meeting.

Once the crew was all gathered into the room, Meme cleared his throat and awkwardly scratched the back of his neck.

"Uh... how do I put this without freaking everybody out..." Meme muttered to himself. After a minute or two, he finally broke the news to everyone.

"Muffin's... dead."

"What?"

"How?"

Various mutters such as this traveled throughout the room. Dino and Nadwe, who were the ones to first notice Muffin's disappearance, were particularly shocked by this.

He's... dead? Nadwe thought, the realization of the situation hitting him like a shockwave. Nadwe and Muffin had been best friends since the first grade, and were basically inseparable. How could he let this happen to his friend?

Socks pushed himself to the front of the gathered crew, his eyes glinting with suspicion. "And how did you come to find the body, again?"

"I had been searching for him after Dino told me he was missing," Meme replied, motioning to the reptile on the other side of the room, "I came in here to see if he was on the cameras somewhere. I turned and noticed blood on the vent, so I opened it, and..."

He trailed off, recalling the horrid memory of Muffin's corpse he knew was just just a few feet away from him. Woolfster walked forward and wrapped his fluffy wolf tail around him to comfort him.

Socks sat there and rubbed his forehead as everyone around him emerged into a din consisting of only arguments and debated over what could've happened.

He was acting. He was acting very, very well.

As the noise around him seemed to rise in volume, he could feel his fingers sharpening to claws. The voices were loud. Too loud.

He wanted to dispose of them all, right here. Right now.

But then, he knew he would blow his cover. So he simply took a deep breath, retracted his claws before anyone saw, and sighed deeply. It helped a little, although simple breathing would not calm him fully. Socks turned and faced everyone else.

"I have an announcement," he shouted through the noise. The din quickly died down as everyone turned to their captain.

"To whoever has done this," Socks said, silently chuckling to himself in his head, "This is your first and only warning you will receive. If you are caught, I will not tolerate your presence on this ship. Your welcome on this mission has bled dry, and you will be immediately ejected if you are found. This time, you are lucky, for we don't have enough information to draw a solid conclusion. But be warned.

"You will never again see Earth or the light of true daylight. Ever."

———————

I'm bored. So take a chapter of this.

Socks acting kinda Sus ngl Ō^Ô

1079 Words