CHAPTER I: Page of Pentacles

"I don't wanna be free! Leave me in luxury! Why try a prison break, when hard time's totally great? I got a trash pedigree! But in here I'm bourgeoisie! I never think about the world beyond, the night recalling I killed my mom... No! I don't wanna be free! Not the life for me, no! I don't wanna be free!"

You hold your eyes on the road while screaming out the lyrics to I Don't Wanna Be Free with Jared next to you in the car. You've been driving for almost six hours now, taking a few breaks in between, and you only have two to go. After saying goodbye to your loving parents, who finally got the opportunity to meet Jared after claiming for years that he was an imaginary friend of yours, the two of you left to drive for a long time. You not only finished school, but also studied philosophy at university and another study alongside that, just so you have something else to hold onto in case you do need another job.

Now, however, you're in your mid-20s, going to live in the town with your best friend and treating it as some kind of a vacation. Which it is, you suppose. The first stop you had, was when the two of you passed a museum you desperately wanted to visit. The second stop was for lunch, which you got at a random snack bar, and the third stop was because Jared had to piss.

And he claimed that you had to go to the toilet a lot.

Ironically, he refused to go after the first four-hour drive, so after two other hours, he finally admitted that he had to go really badly. Considering you were in the middle of nowhere and he could not keep it in anymore, you just stopped by the side of the road and let him walk into the bushes to do it there.

"What if I had to shit? Would you have still let me do it in the bushes?"

"If you had to poop, I would've driven away and let you walk all the way to your house."

Only problem? You have no idea where the town is.

"Here you have to go left."

Somehow he does, though. You have no idea how, but he knows exactly how to go there and he refuses to give you the address or the name of the town so you can drive there without his help. Maybe your desire to kick him out of the car is why.

After another long two hours, you finally arrive, according to him. You don't see anything yet, but only once some old-fashioned buildings seem to arrive in your view, you realize that you must be there. Finally. After a whole tiring day with your excited best friend, you can finally get some freedom from him. "So, I assume I can just walk into the apartment complex and tell them that I want an apartment?" you ask him as you're driving through the ancient-looking streets. The sun is shining just above one of the highest buildings you see, looking like an old castle, and you're passing several buildings with characteristics of classical architecture.

"A good friend of mine is the owner, so I bet that he won't mind."

"And what if he does?"

"Then we'll break in and force him to."

"As much as I am totally into committing crimes, I've just left the house, Jerry. I'm not planning on spending my first night in a new town in a prison cell."

"Well, that's your problem, but you're not staying over at my house. As much as I'd love to welcome you in, I really don't think you want to."

"You're absolutely right."

You park the car near another high building, which is the apartment complex, near the part of the town that borders the forest. After you and Jared get out, he helps you carry some of the stuff you can't, although it's obvious that you're carrying the most. As you enter the apartment, an unexplainable shiver spreads over your entire body. Your skin gets covered with goosebumps and the hair on your neck stands up as well, but you have no idea why. It's probably just the anxiety, right?