CHAPTER XL: Ace of Wands

The room in the top of the church is dark and menacing, but you feel rather at ease here. There are spider webs in the corners and the walls are covered with some weird dried substance, which you assume is spilt coffee.

The bed too isn't as clean as you'd hoped. Sure, Foolish has done his best to make it look as neat as possible, but it's visible that nobody sleeps in here usually. The white pillow has a wet spot, which can be thanked to the obvious leak in the roof. Next to that, the scent of bird shit burns your nostrils away no matter where you stand, and the air feels thick and hard to breathe. Every step you take is followed by a creaking noise, and a rather loud one as well, but that isn't even close to how terrifying the stairs are, which are uneven and unstable.

It's far from perfect, but you can live with it.

Foolish is in the church itself, so he's downstairs. You have no idea what he's doing there, if he's doing anything at all. Maybe he's just sitting and staring at the wall or something. You don't know, but you don't think you want to spend all day in this place.

The moon has already fallen and sun has risen, and tonight you'll just work at Bad's convenience store again. You've been wondering whether you should, but you do want to. You don't just want to become some damsel in distress, waiting for some asshole to save them while being stuck in a tower the entire time. After all, you are still a person. And you're not going to stop treating yourself as one, just because of some assholes you either want dead, or...

Well, whatever the other option is.

You grab your phone and put it in your pockets, before very carefully going downstairs, paranoid to fall. And as you enter the main part of the church, you already find the angel sitting on one of the chairs, holding something in his hands as he's staring at it very intensely. Curiously you approach him, and while he doesn't notice you at first, he suddenly starts coughing, dropping the thing he was holding as he keels over. Is he choking?

However, before you can interfere, he already stops as he stands up shaking. With shivering hands, he grabs what he dropped, you think, and you approach him a bit more, chuckling worriedly. "Uh, are you okay?" Foolish's eyes widen at your words as he sniffles, awkwardly avoiding your eyes.

"Yes, yes, I'm fine," he immediately manages to throw out, holding some object tightly between his fingers, out of your sight. "I'm sorry if I didn't hear you. My ears are clogged up because of the flu, I think."

"You'd think that a being out of Heaven would be able to resist a silly virus such as that," you clumsily joke, at which Foolish immediately protests.

"That's actually not how-" he starts, but you interrupt him right away, shaking it off as a silly statement. A figure of speech, in a sense. So, after that, you gesture towards his hands, asking what the hell it is he's trying to hide from you. "I'm not trying to hide it," he mumbles with a slight empty laugh, after which he clears his sore throat.

Despite his hesitation at first, he gives in and shows to you what he dropped not much earlier. As soon as your eyes fall on it, your heart stops. What is it with these chrysanthemums following you everywhere you go? The flower is crumbled in itself, as if someone stepped on it. "I just found it outside," he says, but you find it hard to believe. And despite this, you don't say you do.

"Then why were you looking at it as if it was some kind of a relic? Or a... nuke?" Your face shifts into that of confusion at the words you decided, but you don't correct yourself. Foolish doesn't either, as his face instead shows panic and uncertainty. "You know what? It doesn't matter." At least, I hope it doesn't. "You don't owe me an explanation, mate. Just don't try to kill me or something and it won't ever be any of my business." Foolish looks up and wants to protest at first, as if the last sentence does more than just disgust him. However, he ends up not saying a word and nodding with a smile.