CHAPTER XLII: Knight of Wands

Rain is falling down as you're quickly trying to finish the ice cream you bought after you left your apartment again, now believing you have pretty much everything you need to further research your whole situation. After your talk with Karl in your apartment, you were lucky enough to leave the complex without having to face George or Niki, sparing you the shame and anger.

After that, you just spent your time roaming the empty streets of Urvorum. The few creatures you did pass, mostly looked at you with suspicion in their eyes, or hostility. It did not exactly make you feel at ease, to put it mildly. Though, you've gotten used to it by now. It's not unfamiliar to you whatsoever.

The swings are both slightly moving. The one you're sitting on, is being moved by you, as you're very slowly placing your feet on the ground, further, closer, further, closer, just out of boredom. The other is either haunted or the wind is blowing it thusly that it goes up from time to time. Though, whatever is the case, it doesn't matter to you. If there's a little ghost girl sitting on it, you're not bothered. If it's a demon trying to get out to possess you, let it happen. If it's the wind, it's the wind, what else is there to say?

The silence that's spread through the town is rather contagious too. Not once have you said a word, ever since entering the centre again. There's nobody to talk to after all. Jared is working, and you're waiting for your shift to start. Sure, you can go end look for the non-existent house of Dream, to see if he wants to hang out, but you're also really not into hanging out with him at the moment. You can pay the castle a visit and see if Techno's open to spending time with you, but that also means having to see Wilbur, undoubtedly.

And Sally and Fundy? You have no idea where to find them, actually. You've already gone to Quackity's place, where he at first hoped to bicker with you a bit, but you really weren't in the mood.

You sigh, grabbing your phone to take a look at the time. It's nearing five; you expect Foolish will be about to prepare dinner once the clock has hit the number. Maybe you should leave, instead of sitting here and doing nothing.

The question is if it really matters in the end anyway, though. I mean, what is there to do, that would truly change something? It's not as if you can ever leave some sort of a legacy. There's nothing about your life that's important, or makes it necessary to be there, and that's not even negative talk, it's just the facts. You're not bothered by it either. You know that this is the truth, and it doesn't hurt you, or make you feel bad. If anything, it gives you a reason to just follow your heart. And your heart tells you to eat ice cream in the rain.

You can hear footsteps approaching the swing, but you're not paying any attention to it. You've already put music on to listen to while you're enjoying the music, enjoying the words and beats that come through your headphones. Only when a figure, out of the corner of your eye seen, sits down on the seat next to you, you look up to be faced with your father, who you did not expect to see here whatsoever.

"Dad? How- I thought you couldn't enter the town because of some curse thing?"

Your father's face is grim, his eyes turned towards the ground under his feet as he sighs silently. He's way too tall for the swing, especially since it already would be too close to the ground for a toddler, but he doesn't complain.

"Crimson's shield was what stopped me from entering," he explains shortly, expecting that you already know. Your eyes twinkle, as you remember that that's indeed the case.

"What if it goes up again before you've left?" you then ask concernedly, praying to above that that won't happen, because you don't want to risk anything. XD sighs.

"We'll see, I suppose. But I'm sure that if Tommy does what he's told, Philza will realize I was only here to check what was the case. And of course, to visit my child." With a faint smile on his face, he ruffles your hair, a darkness in his eyes that you've never seen before. His touch is soft and careful, as though he's scared you'll shatter when he's too harsh.