CHAPTER IV: Ten of Pentacles

The convenience store is certainly something. It's just another weird thing in this odd town. But you don't regret moving here yet. After all, nothing has really given you that reason and you hope that that will stay that way.

There is quite some weird stuff to be found in here to begin with. You have the normal stuff: food and drinks and whatnot, but then you have random masks. There's one mask of a horse which you find pretty funny. When you put it on your head, though, you can't see anything anymore, thanks to the mask not having any holes in them. It covers your entire head and neck, though, so if you ever want to rob a bank you know what mask to use.

Jared made a few photos of it too. He's promised to send them to you later, which you're really waiting for, considering you look pretty hot in the picture. No, you don't, but you do know in what outfit you want to be buried now. You hope your parents will accept your decision. They probably won't.

"I'm going to buy this fucker," you then say and you do.

You have to admit that you're happy with the first hours of your shift: nobody comes to buy anything. This gives you and Jared the best opportunity to bond, as if you haven't been doing that ever since the day you met on the playground. In any case, this means no work, really, other than just cleaning a bit and making sure everything is in its place. The dark clouds in the sky, which are crying more than a new-born baby, are blocking the blue tints above them, which makes it hard for you to estimate the time it is. All you know, is that, before you realize, the clocks in the church back in the town sound twelve times. You're surprised it's so audible, considering you're quite far away from it to begin with.

The rain outside is pretty loud, but it's a calming sight and sound. You and Jared talk for a bit: you tell him about the people you've met, both today and yesterday, and make a list in your mind of other people you've seen that you'd like to talk to some more. Your boss, BadBoyHalo, is also one of these people. When you met him, despite his unique appearance, he seemed like a really nice guy. He got a bit aggressive when you cussed, but you found him pretty hilarious.

What you don't tell Jared, though, are the things you've noticed. He really seems to care about both you and the town, after all, and you don't want to make him feel bad or make him feel like you believe this was a mistake.

When you ask your friend how many customers there usually are, though, he explains to you that they mostly come after midnight. And, as if your question summoned them, two strangers enter the convenience store. Jared freezes next to you. While the two people, one man that's a little younger than you and a woman who, judging by her clothing, is quite wealthy.

"Who are they?" you ask Jared, considering his facial expression is filled with mostly shock and it's obvious to you that he's nervous, if not shy.

"That's Sally Salmon," he whispers in your ear. "And her 'son', Fundy Fox, who went with her this time when she had a tour through the country."

"You mentioned her yesterday, didn't you? I knew she were a famous singer but I didn't know she'd have any tours. I've never really heard of her before."

"You've never heard of whom before?" the woman's enchanting voice asks as she approaches the cash desk, where you and Jared are standing. Jared bows a little as he inhales deeply and sharply, but Sally's eyes are focused on you. "I've never seen you before, that's for sure. What may your name be, darling?" You hold out your hand for her to shake and give her your name with a faint smile. She shakes your hand gently and her touch allows goosebumps to spread all over your skin. "Well, it's an honour meeting you, my love. Considering that Jared is one of my many fans, I'm sure you already know who I am."

"I mean, I only know your name and occupation," you shrug as you let go of her hand. Fundy, the man who glares at you with hostility in his eyes, comes to stand next to the music artist and Sally laughs when she realizes his presence.