Chapter 7. "Congratulations"

"Shit," Sam said as Emily and Sam stood in front of all of his friends sitting on the Hale couch. "Oh, he-" Edward stopped at his track when his eyes fell on their interlaced fingers. He looked back up at them. Sam and Emily looked at each other and immediately withdrew their hands. "Hello, Edward," Emily tried. "What is going on between the two of you?" he asked without wasting a second.

"We were just hanging," Emily said. "Hanging?" Edward asked, raising his eyebrow. "Hanging out, she meant. We were just hanging out, Ed," Sam said, flashing him his most charming smile. It wouldn't work. He glanced at Rowan and James for help. James seemed too shocked to respond while Rowan was trying to analyze. "Useless," Sam thought as he turned back to Edward.

"Kids, have snacks. Edward, Rowan, James, Sam, Emily" Emily's mother called from the kitchen. "Edward, Emily," she called again after a brief silence. "Coming," he said, walking towards the kitchen. Emily and Sam let out a sigh of relief the moment he went out of sight. Emily had never been more grateful to her mother.

"What will we do now?" she asked, turning toward her fake boyfriend. "We have to tell him we are dating," he said. "Good luck," she whispered, walking forward. "Thank you, I will need it. Keep white roses at my funeral, " he said following her. "Will do," she said. "Let's go, shall we?" he asked, stretching out his hand. She slipped hers into his. "We shall."

Edward stared at them the moment they stepped in. Emily tightened her grip on his hand. He squeezed back as they sat at the table. Silence stretched on, Emily looked anywhere but her brother, and Sam tapped his free hand at the table. "What is happening?" Edward finally asked.

"We are dating," Emily said with confidence. "No, you are not," Edward said, breaking the same confidence. "Hey, you don't make my decisions," she snapped. "I do in this matter, Emily. You don't need another jerk in your life. No offense, Sam, I love you a lot, but this is my sister we are talking about, " he said.

"I know she is your sister Ed, that doesn't change how I feel about her," Sam said. James shook his head. "Feel about her? Not even 12 hours ago, you were madly in love with Isabel. What changed? You could any girl you want, and you chose her, this thing out of every girl, " Edward said. She felt like strangling him. "What was that supposed to mean?" she asked. "It meant that you two are not right for each other," Edward said.

"You don't get to say in this, Edward. I like him and he likes me. We are dating whether you like it or not. It is happening. Deal with it, " she said. She could feel all of the boys eyes on her. James looked between the siblings, Rowan seemed impressed. Her brother was staring at them, anger radiating off him, and Sam had a faint smile on his face.

"Ed, can I talk to you?" Rowan stood up. "Sure, I need air." Edward stood up, taking a slice of cake with him. "Why does he have to be that dramatic?" Emily asked as she saw Rowan and Edward talking. "Don't worry, Rowan will handle him," said the boy sitting in front of her.

"So, are you two actually dating?" he asked. "Yes, James," Sam said. James let out a breath, Emily saw how his dark curls flew up. "Well, good luck," he pushed up his round glasses, which seemed to magnify his brown doe eyes. Rowan and Edward joined them after what seemed like Rowan successfully managing to shut her brother up. "You better be careful," Edward said, sitting down. "Yes, sir," Sam said as Rowan winked at him from behind.

Rowan was the only person who could talk Edward out of anything. Sam took a slice of cake as awkwardness started to make its way again. "So how did you start dating?" Rowan asked, stressing on the word dating. He was the most skeptical. Sam and Emily looked at each other and smiled. They hadn't discussed it yet, and people were going to ask that. This was the start.

Emily let out a small laugh, "That.. is a great question, darling?" she looked at her brother's raised eyebrows, "Sam?" she immediately changed. "Yes, angel?" Sam answered with a smile and a glance at Edward. He was trying to get into his skin, and she didn't know if she loved or hated him for that. "Why don't you answer it?" she asked.

"That is quite a story. Why don't you do it? You are far better at storytelling," he said, smiling wider at her. She clenched her jaw, "Of course, darling," she said, looking back at them ." We met in detention," she said. "Today?" Edward scoffed. "Yes," she answered. "So wait, you two met today in detention and started dating," he said. "That's what I said. Keep up," she said.

"You two fell in love in only an hour?" Rowan asked. "We clicked, Ro. It could happen in a minute if you will. We clicked, " Sam looked at her with a faint smile. She smiled back, grateful. "Do I have to deal with all this?" Edward asked, pretending to be nauseous. "Yes," Sam and Emily said in unison.

Their front door swung open, "Hey," James stood up before anyone else got a word out. 'What are you doing here?" Gwyn's voice came. Emily turned to see her standing at the door in her pink tee shirt. "You were not picking up your phone," Gwyn said, pulling her hair out of her bun. "Gwyn, join in," her mother said, walking past them, placing a fresh bunch of cookies. Gwyn took a seat next to Rowan and immediately looked at their interlaced hands and back at Edward. "Am I missing something?" she asked.

"They are dating," Rowan said. "Who?" Gwyn asked, taking a sip of the soda. "Sam and Emily," Edward said. Gwyn choked on her drink, "you've gotta be kidding me," she said, looking between them before she burst out laughing. "Wonderful," she said between her laughs. Rowan and James tried their best not to join her. "Congratulations," she patted Edward.

"Go to hell," Edward muttered. Sam and Emily looked at each other. It won't be easy.