Chapter 18. The birthday breakfast

"Happy birthday, love," his mother said, bringing him the rainbow cake she baked him ever since he could remember. It was their birthday tradition. "Thank you, mum," he said, hugging her. "Make a wish," James said. "and hold these," Edward handed him the pink balloons. "Drop the balloons, will you?" Sam asked. "You cried for pink balloons," Rowan said, holding the phone. "So being the best friends we are, we get you the balloons you want so much," James said.

"I was eight," Sam tried. "Ten," Edward said without missing a beat. "I hate you," he said. "You shouldn't. we always get you the thing you want," Edward said. "Every year," Rowan grinned. "Make a wish, will you?" James said, looking at the kitchen.
He closed his eyes and blew out the candles.

His mother handed him a knife, and at that moment, they started singing as horribly as they could. He cut the cake as the song started to get worse, with each passing second. "Intentional, isn't it?" Sam asked. "Absolutely," Edward sat right across from him. "Here," his mother brought the golden waffles, cupcakes, and birthday crepes as she called them. "James, take a seat and have as much as you like," she said. "Of course," James said.

"He won't hesitate a bit," Rowan said, taking a crepe. "Let me get the milkshakes," she said. "Let me help you," Sam followed her into the kitchen. "Happy birthday. I can't believe you turned seventeen. No matter how old you are, you will always be my little boy, " she said, holding his cheek.

"I know," he said, holding her hand. "Here, take these." she handed him the chocolate milkshakes. "Is something bothering you?" Sam asked. Her mother seemed disturbed. "Sam," she started, it wasn't good. "Your father wants to see you today," she said.

"No," Sam said, shaking his head, "absolutely not."Sam, listen to me. He wants you to bond with him and introduce you to her before the wedding. He is trying, and you should too," she said. "When does he want to see me?" Sam asked, taking a sip. "He wants to have lunch," " today?" He asked, feeling his birthday to be on the verge of doom already. "Call him for me, will you," she said. "I am tolerating him just for you," he said. "I love you for that. Your friends are waiting," she said.

"Have you eaten?" Sam asked, turning midway. "I will grab a coffee on the way, I have to meet Walter about my book," she said. "Good luck," he said. "Thank you, love," she kissed his cheek.

"What's wrong?" Edward asked the moment he sat down. Sam waited until his mother walked out of the door. "He suddenly wants to be a father after ignoring my existence for ten years," he said. "Don't you think you are being too hard on him?" James said.

"No," Sam said. "Say the whole thing, you can't just say a sentence and expect us to agree," Rowan said. "My father wants us to bond. He invited me to lunch with his fiancee," Sam said, looking at his breakfast.

"What a jerk," Edward said. "I know," Sam agreed. "You should go," Rowan said. "I agree," James said. "What?" Sam asked. "That man has put him through enough," Edward said. "He is trying now," Rowan said. "Is it enough?" Sam said.

"It's your birthday, don't let him ruin it, you have a party to throw and a birthday to enjoy. Forget about him. He is not worth it, " James said, "and tell your mom the food is amazing. " "Have some more." Sam pushed the plate towards him. "Don't you eat?" Edward asked James. "I am growing, I need food," James said.

"You just had a coffee on your way here," Rowan said. "Why are you people so judgy," he said, "can't even let a person eat peacefully."We should get going." Edward looked at the watch. "I will get the car," Sam said. "You aren't driving today," Edward said. "I am a better driver than all of you combined," he said. "Nobody would have liked you if you weren't pretty," Edward said, standing up, "Let's go."

"Can't you just skip school today?" Rowan asked. "We have an exam," James said. "What exam?" Edward and Sam asked in unison. "History," James said. "Why?" Sam asked, "It's fine. I sit in front of Emily. She has studied," Edward said. "How do you know?" Edward asked. "Let's skip class," Rowan said. "Can't disappoint my admirers," Sam said. "Sometimes I think you have reached the peak of arrogance and every time you establish a new limit," Rowan said, walking up to his car.

"I am amazing," Sam said as he sat next to Edward. "Are you going to call Isabel?" James asked. "Of course, there won't be a party without the happy couple," Sam said. "You are extremely petty," Edward started the car. "I am just returning the favor, and don't you think it would be odd if I invite everyone but them, it would be," Sam said.

"There's going to be some drama," Edward said. "A lot," Rowan laughed.  "O My God," James said, "what?" Edward turned. "Edward the road," Rowan nearly screamed. "Rowan, you aren't going to die in my car. Calm the fuck down alright?" Edward said turning towards the road, "there is a reason I don't let you sit in the front" Edward said.

Sam pressed his lips together, "What is it, James?" Sam asked. "Stephanie just told me that maybe, just maybe, no one is sure." James looked around. "Just get to the point, will you?" Edward asked. " Isabel and William broke up," he said. "What?" Edward and Sam said at the same time, looking at each other ."That was coming," Rowan said, "Edward could you please look at the road?" he said.

"Could you not be annoying? You didn't seem to mind yesterday," Edward said. Sam and James looked at each other, "It was different," Rowan said, looking out of the window. "Sure," Edward said, stopping in front of their school.