Chapter 38. Museums and kisses

"What are you doing here?" he asked. "I came to tell your mother congratulations," he looked at Emily. "I believe I didn't get a chance to speak with your friend the other day, Leonardo Watson." he stretched his hand. "Emily Hale, it's a pleasure to meet you," she said. "She is my girlfriend," Sam said. "Nice to meet you, Emily, I shall be taking my leave, but I look forward to seeing you at the wedding," he said. 

"What wedding?" she asked once he was gone. "His wedding, I told him we were dating, Emily. Do you want to be my date to his wedding?" he asked. "What kind of fake girlfriend would I be if I didn't go to my fake boyfriend's father's wedding?" she asked.

"It's not funny," he said, a laugh escaping his lips. "Yet you are laughing, I will be there, Sam, I promise." she gave him her little finger. "Really pinky promise?" he asked, looking at her finger. "It is an unbreakable vow. Join your pinky," she said. "As you wish," he said. "Let's go around the party," she said. They walked around the party, meeting and talking with various people.

"Who are you checking out?" Emily asked, taking a sip of her drink. "The girl in the blue dress, she is hot," Sam said. Emily followed his gaze and shook her head. "Why do all your choices suck?" she asked. "You are my choice," he said. "The only time it didn't suck," she said, flicking her hair, "besides the girl next to her, the one in the green dress is hotter," Emily said. "Yeah, she is. I wonder how I didn't see her at first" he said, "because you were too distracted by her figure to look at her surroundings, the best things aren't seen that easy" she said. 

"Sam, Emily," his mother called. "We are getting out of there in fifteen minutes," Sam said, walking toward the people surrounding his mother. They didn't get out in fifteen minutes, Emily started talking with the people, and by the end of the night, Emily impressed nearly everyone with her wit and charm. "Everyone loved you," Sam said, driving her home.  

"I had a nice time there," she said. "What are you going to do tomorrow?" he asked. "I am just going to spend all of my time on my couch watching old classics and eating pizzas," she said. "You are going to stay at home and eat pizzas during your seventeenth birthday?" he asked. "Yes, I will enjoy it. You are free to join if you want," she said. "I will," he said.

Something seemed to startle in his back seat. "What was that?" she asked. "What was what?" he said. "Did you not hear it?" She asked. "Right now, I have no clue what you are talking about, so no," he said. "Strange," she said, "I swear I heard something move," she said. "Listen crazy lady, there is nothing there," he said.

"Did you ever break into an art museum?" he said. "Absolutely not. Are we breaking into an art museum now?" Emily asked as Sam took a turn. Sometimes, she didn't understand him. "It's your last day as a sixteen year old. Do something you never did," he said. "Doing something I never did would include breaking into a museum o my god, we are actually doing it," she said as he stopped in front of the old large building

"Yes, angel, we are doing it," Sam said. "Just don't panic and trust me. We will be fine," he said, opening her door. "Do you ever care about the consequences of anything, ever?" she said. "If you start caring, you stop living," he said. "Now, you are a philosopher, too?" she asked. "Do you trust me?" he asked, "yes, " she said. He slipped his hand into her, "Let's go then," he said.

"How will we get in?" she asked. "I interned here for a summer," he said, pulling out a bunch of keys. "So you stole the keys," she said. "Don't be ridiculous, I am not a thief, Emily. I just duplicated to allow me easy access," he pushed the door open. "We are getting caught," she said. "We will if you keep standing there," he pulled her in.

He switched on the lights, and the museum seemed to amaze her every time she went. Each of the art pieces had something to tell. "Let's go," they walked around as Emily explained the history of each piece to him. "You are good at this," Sam said. "I wanted to study the history of art in St. Andrew's," she said. "The school prince William and Kate went to?" Sam asked. "That one," Emily said, still looking at the pieces.

"What's stopping you?" Sam asked. "I don't know," Emily said. "I think you should apply. See what happens," he said. "Wait a moment," he said, running out. "Where are you?" she called, but he was gone. She looked at her watch. It was nearly twelve.

"Here, happy birthday, Emily," he said, handing her a big blue box with a white ribbon. "What's in there?" she asked, taking it. It was heavy. "Wait, first make a wish." he took out a cupcake and lighted the pink candle. "Did you carry all these?" she asked. "Yes, now make a wish," he said. She closed her eyes, and she knew what she wanted.

"Alright, now open it," he said, putting the candle aside. The box moved, and Emily stopped for a moment. "Don't be scared, just open," he said. "I am putting a lot of faith in you, I swear if something jumps on me," she said, lifting the lid.

Something did jump on her. She was met by a pair of brown eyes and fur. "Emily, meet."Brownie," she said, lifting the puppy and a B dangling from his neck. "Hi," she said, Brownie woofed. "Happy birthday, Emily," he said. She put Brownie down and hugged Sam as tight as she could. "Thank you, Sam," she said, pulling back, their faces inches away from each other, without thinking, without caring, they both leaned in at the same time.