Chapter 17. "Wake up, Princess"

Sam smiled at the message, Emily was the first one to wish him, and soon, the other messages followed.

Rowan: Happy birthday, idiot

Rowan texted him,

Sam: Thank you, Ro

Rowan: Where did you go today?

Sam: The café, why?

Rowan: You missed something. They got into a fight today

Sam: Who?

Rowan: Isabel and William, it was something about Emily

Sam: Really?

Rowan: I think Will still likes her

Sam: That's great

Rowan: Dude, she is your girlfriend, it's not great

Sam closed his eyes. They didn't know about the pact.

Autocorrect, he tried. Rowan didn't push it any further. He replied to other wishes until he spotted the one Isabel sent. He didn't open it. He called Emily instead of texting her. She felt like the only person he wanted to talk to then.

"Happy birthday, darling," she said, the moment she picked up. "Thank you, angel, I have good news for you," he said. "There is a rumor that Will still likes you," he said. "Please tell me you are kidding?" Emily said. "No, they got into a fight, and Ro heard your name being mentioned," he said.

"Really?" she asked. "Emily, you are finally causing fights between happy couples. How do you feel?" he asked. "Honestly, it feels great. What about you?" she asked. "Isabel texted," he said. "Just send a thank you, a dry one," she said. "I didn't open it," Sam said. "You idiot open it and show her she isn't that important to you, that you will avoid her, its your birthday have fun," she said. "I am trying," he said, typing just a thank you. "Done," he said. "Good."

"Shit," he said, "what?" she asked. "Rowan likes someone," James just texted," Sam said. Emily's eyes widened. Sam fell on his bed as she jumped down from her bed. "Hold up, let me get something," she said. "Sure," Sam scrolled through the freaked out texts James sent.

Emily put him on mute and banged on Edward's door right across her room. "Could you be anymore louder?" Edward asked, holding his door half opened."Let me in." she pushed him aside and sat on his bed. "What are you?" he stopped when Sam's voice came, "Emily?"

She signaled him to be quiet. "Wait, a moment, I am not getting it," she said to Sam, patting at the bed. "Sure," he answered. She put Sam back on mute. "What was that?" Ed asked. "Sit down and hear," she said. "I am not sure I want to hear your and your boyfriend's conversation," he said, sitting next to her. She ignored him, "Sorry I was not getting something, continue, from the start," she said

"Alright, so James texted me nearly ten minutes ago, saying Rowan might like someone." she looked at Edward leaning in. "Ask who?" he whispered. She hit his arm, and he yelped as she pressed his mouth, "Are you okay?" Sam asked. "Yeah, just the idiotic brother of mine," she said. "He is not near you, is he?" Sam asked. Emily looked at Edward, "Absolutely not," she said.

"Did he mention who?" she asked. "No, but I think it could be Jane." Edward furrowed his eyebrows ,"or it could be the one we think about, Edward," he said. Emily got down from his bed as Edward smiled widely.

"You're welcome," she whispered as she walked out of the door. "Maybe it's someone completely different. It's hard to tell with Rowan," he said. "Maybe it's Edward," she said. "Maybe," he said. "Today's your birthday. How excited are you?" she asked. "It's going to be like the rest of them, I am throwing a party, do you want to come?" he asked.

"Of course," Emily said, pulling her blanket over her. "Okay," he said. "Okay," she said. "Goodnight, Emmy," he said after a pause. "Goodnight, Sam," they hung up. Sam turned on his bed, he turned seventeen, yet he had no idea what to do with his life.

Sam jolted awake as he felt someone jump on him, "Wake up, princess," Edward said, laughing on his bed. He shoved him off as Rowan removed the curtains, "goodness Rowan, close them." he closed his eyes as sunrays fell directly into his eyes. Sam opened his eyes, "Jesus" he nearly screamed. "What the hell are you doing near my bed, James," he asked.

James looked down, holding pink balloons, "Get up," he said. Sam looked at the pink balloons, "seriously?" he asked. "Absolutely," Edward lay next to him, joined by Rowan. "There is enough space for all of you," he said, wriggling between the boys. "We are close friends, aren't we?" James said. Sam cursed as he got up. Rowan hugged him, "Welcome to seventeen. You are one year away from being an adult. It's gonna suck," he said.

Edward and James joined him. Sam hugged them. "Still, mum shouldn't have let you in," he said. "You love us," Edward said. "I do," Sam said. "Now get dressed, your Mum is cooking something delicious, I can smell it from here," James said. "Are you here for the food?" Sam asked. "Why else would I be here for," James said.

"Get down," Rowan said already on his way out. Edward and Rowan tried to move at the same time. Rowan let him go first when Edward hit his head. "Careful," Sam said. "Alright, mother," Edward said.

"Are you hurt, Ed?" Rowan asked, "Let me have a look. " he turned to Edward, tracing the place. Sam and James shared a look. "What?" Rowan asked, Edward was turning red. "Nothing, let's go down," Edward said. "Why are you red?" Rowan asked.

"Nothing, Ro let Sam get dressed," Edward said. "As if we haven't seen him naked," Rowan said. "Goodness Ro, you had to do that?" James said, closing his eyes. "Lauren, wasn't it?" Edward asked. "Yes," Rowan and James answered at the same time. "Rowan, please take Edward down, will you?" Sam asked with a smirk. Edward shot him a look. "Sure, let's go, James," Rowan called, walking down. Edward flipped both of them off as they just laughed.