Christmas

Chapter 11

Kol nearly walked a slump into the floor as he paced heatedly back and forth, grumbling to himself curses about his brothers.

Niklaus had thrown him and Marcel in the study like a couple of errant children and then left to go help Elijah calm down their guests.

Furious at being reprimanded like children, Kol paced. He considered leaving the room right after Klaus but at that point running away would've been seen as childish rather than an effort of self-preservation.

He was also curious to find out what Klaus's plan for Marcel was. He knew that by attacking him back, Marcel had broken the rules in his manual and Kol planned to demand the harshest punishment available for him.

"I'm going to tell'em to desiccate ya." Kol spat. "Then put you in the garden for a few hundred decades before finally putting an end to your treacherous life. That'll show ya."

Marcel sat quietly on the floor leaning against the bookcase across the room. His arms wrapped around his legs, his head resting against his knees. He could just barely hear Kol as he ranted because his attention was focused on the noise down the hall. He listened for Niklaus but he couldn't make out any distinct voice among all the party-goers.

"Do you hear me?" Kol yelled after realizing he was being ignored.

Marcel snapped to attention, his face hardened with anger at having his concentration broken.

"I hear you," Marcel growled. "You haven't shut up since we've been in here."

"We'll see how cocky you are with a dagger inside ya."

Marcel's arms tightened around his legs. He was afraid. He'd broken several rules by fighting Kol and Klaus had all but promised him death for breaking even one. That's why he was trying to eavesdrop. He had to know what Klaus's plans were – not because of his fear of the dagger, but of exile. It was his greatest fear.

"I'll probably get the dagger too. And it's all your fault."

"Wait, how is this my fault? You attacked me."

"You shouldn't have fought back. I was just in a bad mood. I would've calmed down had you not fought back."

Marcel jumped to his feet and stared Kol down. "If you think I'll ever just stand there and take a beating from you, you've got another thing coming."

"Oh yeah. That's not what you were saying when I had you down in the basement sobbing like a little boy."

Anger clouding his better judgment, Marcel's fist came crashing at Kol's jaw like a freight train. Kol's body went stumbling back across the room but he caught himself before he hit the wall. When he looked back at Marcel, the devilish grin on Kol's face made his skin crawl.

"Thanks," Kol jeered as he cracked his knuckles. "That's all a needed. An excuse to kill you."

Kol was in front of Marcel before he realized it. Two swift punches in the abdomen and Marcel had four broken ribs piercing him from the inside. Luckily from him, Klaus's thorough destruction of Freya's workshop effectively ended the spell she was using to suppress his healing ability. Unlucky for him, Kol had no intention of giving him a moment to start healing. He wanted to break every bone in Marcel's body before killing him.

Kol had the overwhelming advantage and for everyone hit Marcel miraculously landed, Kol had six. Marcel never knew the extent to which Niklaus held back on him when they fought until that moment.

When Marcel's body was sufficiently broken and he couldn't stand even on his knees, Kol grabbed him by the collar and slammed his body against the wall so they were seeing eye to eye.