18|| i'm proud of you

TW: Breif mention of SH and suicide

~~~

My leg involuntarily bounces as I sit in the passenger seat, Billie speeding down the streets. This day has only just started and I already feel mentally exhausted. My eyes frantically trace the houses cruising past us and I know we're getting close. I feel Billie place her hand on my thigh, halting my leg from bouncing.

"It's gonna be okay," she assures me. I nod my head just as we pull up in front of my parent's house. My jaw drops when I see all my belongings in the front yard, some things in boxes and others laying on the grass. Is this really happening right now?

Looking at the front porch I spot Elodie and my dad having a heated discussion, my dad's face red with rage, Elodie's face blotchy and tear-stained. My heart shatters at the sight in front of my eyes. 

Billie and I make eye contact and she reaches for my hand, giving it a squeeze of reassurance before we step out of the car. I immediately sprint up to Elodie, engulfing her in a hug and stopping her from shouting at my father. "Hey, it's okay," I whisper as her body racks with sobs.

My dad lets out an unamused chuckle and shakes his head with disapproval. I shot him eyes filled with daggers, I hate this man. I glance towards the yard, noticing Billie talking on the phone while placing a few of the boxes in her back seat.

My eyes look back up at my father before he starts speaking with anger. "Ember, I've tried to help you, tried to get you out of bed, encouraged you to come to work with me but you refuse my help. You don't tell me where you're going or how long you'll be gone. You disrespect your mother and me. We have had enough! This stuff needs to be gone by the end of the day or I'm burning it. You are no longer welcome in this house, don't bother trying to get inside, we've changed the locks." He pivots to go inside but turns back around. "Oh, and you are no longer to speak to your sister. She has a new number and doesn't need your poor influence anymore," he finishes walking inside and slamming the door behind him.

"Are you really leaving?" Elodie whimpers out, sitting on the steps. I sit down beside her and hold her close to me.

"I don't really have a choice," I sigh. "Mom and dad don't want me here anymore Elodie."

"B-but where are you going to live?" Her glassy eyes meet mine and I brush away a tear from her cheek.

"I don't know sweetie, but don't worry about me. Worry about yourself, okay?"

"Will we ever see each other again?" Her lips quiver and my entire body crumbles.

"Of course," I plaster on a fraud smile, "Go inside, get a pen and paper, okay?"

"Okay," she nods, standing up and walking off into the house. I walk across the front yard, every last one of my belongings surrounding me. I honestly didn't think I had that many things but Billie's back seat is filled up and there are still boxes scattered across the freshly cut grass.

"I called Finneas, he and Claudia will be here any minute and they can take the rest of your stuff," Billie explains. I nod my head in defeat and I hear Elodie come back out the front door.

Writing my number on the piece of paper I open up her hand, placing it in her palm and closing her fingers over it. "Keep this in a hiding spot and use it for emergencies only, got it?"

"Why only emergencies?"

"If dad finds out you have my number he'll block my number, that is if he hasn't already."

"Give her my number too," Billie adds. I nod my head, adding her number to the piece of paper just as a white Tesla pulls up. Both Finneas and Claudia hop out of the car and both of them wordlessly give me hugs. I feel awful for interrupting their day. Fuck.