19|| comfort

A/N: The song linked at the top is the one Billie sings to Ember in this chapter.

Okay, don't forget to vote and comment and all that good shit. I love you!

~~~

Billie didn't lie when she said watching these papers go up in flames would be satisfying. It feels like I'm cutting off all ties from the past and my parents and it feels incredible. It also feels amazing to have Billies arm wrapped around me and my head on her shoulder.

The sound of the fire crackling made me feel at peace. In fact, Billie's backyard makes me feel at ease. She's got a huge in-ground pool that is lit up blue, as well as a hot tub. She's got a cute little fireplace, benches surrounding it with cushions, where we are currently sitting.

I can't believe it took me this long to leave that house, and it wasn't even my choice. I should have left a long long time ago. But better late than never, right?

"What are you thinking about?" Billie questions softly.

"Well, I'm just glad I'm out of that house," I shrug.

"I'm glad you are too," she smiles, turning to look at me. I shiver a little as a cool breeze hits us. "You cold?"

"Just a little," I hold up two fingers indicating 'just a bit'.

"I'll go grab a blanket, be right back," she tells me, squeezing me a little before she gets off the bench and walks inside. I grab the last few papers out of the cardboard box and throw them onto the fire, watching the sides start to shrivel up.

This day has been intense and made me question everything. Like, where do I go from here? I need a job but do I even have the ability to get one? Billie and I still haven't talked about that kiss we shared, do I bring it up? I just dont know how to feel right now.

My thoughts are cut off when I feel a fluffy blanket being draped over my shoulders from behind. "Better?"

"Much," I nod with a slight smile, "Thank you."

"Of course," Billie moves back to sit beside me with a guitar in hand. She begins strumming lightly while looking at me, her face illuminated by orange flickers. "Finneas told me he would be happy to teach you guitar."

"Really?" I question with a stupidly excited smile.

"Mhm," she hums with a nod.

"Sing me something?"

"Like what?"

"Hmm," I purse my lips in thought, my eyes scanning her face. "Whatever you want."

"Okay," she nods, switching up her strumming pattern. I watch her face contort as she figures out the chords.

"I've never really sang this song so I might bomb it," she mutters.

"Pfft, like you could bomb a song," I chuckle, lightly pushing her shoulder.

She just rolls her eyes with a playful smile on her lips before beginning to sing the words.

"I've got a hundred dollars
In the mattress on the floor
I can make you macaroni
We could eat it on the porch
I'll play you a song on a guitar
I can't afford"

I chuckled at the irony because this girl is a fucking millionaire and could buy every guitar in the world. Her eyes met mine, her lips upturned into a smile as she sang the next words to me.

"I'd be with you for better
I'd be with you for poor

Baby I, I really wanna take care of you
I know you didn't ask me to
'Cause you've got everything you need
Tell me what's, a bunch of money really gonna do
I'd love you under any roof
And we'd have everything"